New alternator random plug

builte

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

I was just going to post a question about this same terminal. I upgraded my alternator to one from a 280ZX. It also has the P terminal. Can this be used to run a tachometer that uses the signal from an ECU and not the standard aftermarket tachometers that use the distributor?

The alternator is part of the charging system and it has no connection to the ECU other than to power it. Why would the ECU be sending a tachometer signal to the alternator????????? It's not a tractor.

From what I could find is there are some alternators, usually used on diesel engines, that have a terminal that puts out a signal for a tach. It is obviously a different type of signal than what most aftermarket tachs use, mainly the negative side of the coil. There are some tachs that pull a signal from either the cars computer or this terminal on the back of an alternator.

I was just wondering if this particular terminal labelled P puts out that type of signal that can run a tach.

The reason I am asking is I bought a tach and GPS speedometer set. The speedometer works great. But I couldn't get the tach to run and that is because it wasn't designed to run off the coil. It was designed to run off either an alternator or from the ECU.