Datsun 710 Starter - What is the best option?

IslandBum

Hi dear community ! I’ve bought the nice datsun 710 few month ago, but i still didn’t drive much, because i need to change all suspension parts after the ex owner who didn’t do anything for years. And the last problem was with the starter. It started sounds bad while starting and i decided to fix it in some local Service. But it was bad mistake and banana head mechanic broke it ( i live in a thai island), i took it off and saw that it wasn’t original starter and its start damaging flywheel so i stoped doing anything.

I founded some shop in US where i can order much of spareparts i need, can someone recommend what is the best starter brand i can use for and what is the spare part number of it?

BTW in rockauto i founded much spareparts for Nissan 710 but they have onle for 2.0 engine - can you someone tell please - if the spare parts match for my 1.6L Datsun 160J (nissan 710) like suspension parts, starter etc (except engine parts) - i guess the the frame and base are the same ?!

https://imgur.com/a/bwcnaWZ - car plate

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries, any L series starter will work on your 710. L20B starter is fine, even one from a Z car. The trouble with after market starters are they are cheaply made.

Do you still have the original starter??? They can be sent away for rebuilding.

What was the problem with it? In some cases it's not the starter, in others it's only the solenoid mounted on it.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

No worries, any L series starter will work on your 710. L20B starter is fine, even one from a Z car. The trouble with after market starters are they are cheaply made.

Do you still have the original starter??? They can be sent away for rebuilding.

What was the problem with it? In some cases it's not the starter, in others it's only the solenoid mounted on it.

I will do the photo on weekends, I guess it's not the original one which was installed, but not sure....

21 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I would think there would be alot of Datsun starters in Thailand since alot of dtasun 1600/510s

Some parts for Datsun pick-ups possible to find here, but for sedan nothing or resellers with crazy prices(just buying from ebay etc and selling here)

Guys, what the models parts matches for 710? I will check 510 thx

ANY vehicle with an L series engine L16/L18/L20B/L24,*L26*/L28* will work.

510/521/620/610/710/S10/A10/240Z*/260Z*/280Z*/280zx*/810* and Maxima* (910)

* these are six cylinder engines. I have an L24 starter from a Maxima (910) on my 710 L20B. 

mike I dont think all of them will work.At least the aftermarket ones. I got a 240-280z one and didnt not fit right in my 521. locked up on my then notice the nose jammed up . woundnt turn. thats what I kinda remember

If it fits in flush with the trans without hitting the back round part of trans then its ok.

Island Bum find a 510 guy he will help you

• Like 1

They all have the same flywheel ring gear. All L series transmission interchange.

All L16/18 starters seem to have the same part number. L20B starters have different number but probably more powerful, maybe slightly larger diameter, also cars like 610 and 710 had L18s and L20Bs and used the same transmission. L20B also had optional gear reduction starters so they also have different number but doesn't mean they don't fit. I have a gear reduction starter from an L24 engine in an '84 Maxima on my L20B 710.

Only two transmissions used on L series  4 cylinder engines 3 if you count the dogleg but all use the same starter ring gear on the flywheels. I say they fit and interchange but obviously some differences physically other than fit for L20B and six cylinder applications.

14 hours ago, datzenmike said:

* these are six cylinder engines. I have an L24 starter from a Maxima (910) on my 710 L20B. 

My engine is Nissan Z 1.6 - I see this L16 engine

14 hours ago, datzenmike said:

So i can find some starter from pickup in local market then... ill check thx

6 hours ago, IslandBum said:

My engine is Nissan Z 1.6 - I see this L16 engine

Oh it's a Z series??? Well all L series will also fit the Z series engines/transmissions, but best to get a Z16/18  starter if you can.

• Thanks 1
On 8/11/2023 at 7:25 PM, datzenmike said:

Oh it's a Z series??? Well all L series will also fit the Z series engines/transmissions, but best to get a Z16/18  starter if you can.

Hi, today I watched on the engine and found that it is Z18 model. I founded some local seller who has the starter, but they wrote in description that its fit to Z16/z20/z24 but nothing about z18. 

Is it really Z16 parts matches for z18 ? Thz

• 2 weeks later...