Z22S Performance cam upgrade

Ratrod720

So I've got this Z22S engine that I'm working on and would like to put a better camshaft in it. I've found a lot of good ones for other Z series engines, but I cant find anything other than a direct replacement for the stock cam. Would a cam for another Z series engine work? Thank You! 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah absolutely! Cams are all the same for the Z20/22/24. Power is all about how much air you can breathe through a head. While you will get some modest gains from a higher lift and longer duration cam they will remain 'modest'. The Z series head was never designed with power upgrades in mind and above 4K it breathes poorly. It was intended for low speed torque and very low emissions up to highway speeds, under 4K. 

I would start with a larger Weber 32/36 carburetor, a genuine one from Pierce Manifolds and a lower restriction 'turbo' muffler and not one of those see through or 'cherry bomb' fart cannons. This will probably get you the same gains as the can but you keep your mileage and power band relatively unchanged. If you go to a cam naturally you will gain more than a cam alone.

On my 710 the stock L20B pipe is r 1 7/8"? so I got a stock generic $29 Wallmart muffler at a yard sale, never used, but, it was 1/4" larger inlet and outlet and it was larger oval cross section. I bought a 1 7/8" to 2 1/4" expander fitting, some clamps and a 45 degree exit and dump at the axle. It's mercifully quite but has a pleasing rumble at idle.

• Like 1

When choosing a cam, think in terms of valve springs. For an added boost in power, I'll choose a cam that can use stock valve springs. Usually this type of cam is ground to a stock profile, but with slightly more lift. Any cam grinder can do this on a stock cam.

My friend Jon Dougherty has a cam shop in NorCal. If you're interested, let me know and I'll get you his contact info.

• Like 1