Lights/ Electrical

Big_Nachote

So.. I'm having some electrical issues that I'm hoping you guys can help with. 

Headlights - Both headlights work and function well. 

High Beams - Both high beams work and function well also. However, when both high beams are on; my right headlight (low beam) shuts off..

Emergencies/ Hazards - Both emergencies/ hazards work and function on the back set; however, both fronts do not work at all.

Turn Signals - Both back sets work and function well; however, both front sets do not..

Back Lights - Both back lights work and function well.

Brake Lights - Both back brake lights work and function well.

Bumper and License Plate Lights - Not sure if custom lights or if these are normal/default lights. However; I have a switch next to my turn signal lever that controls lights on my front bumper and if I switch it the other way, it controls the lights on my back bumper/ license plate. Both of these are also working and functioning well. 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Big_Nachote said:

High Beams - Both high beams work and function well also. However, when both high beams are on; my right headlight (low beam) shuts off..

Actually the low beam does shut off but is replaced by the high beam filament on the outside headlight. The high beam filament is likely burned out. Replace it.

Emergencies/ Hazards - Both emergencies/ hazards work and function on the back set; however, both fronts do not work at all.

Turn Signals - Both back sets work and function well; however, both front sets do not..

Likely the front turn signal bulbs are burned out. Replace them

Bumper and License Plate Lights - Not sure if custom lights or if these are normal/default lights. However; I have a switch next to my turn signal lever that controls lights on my front bumper and if I switch it the other way, it controls the lights on my back bumper/ license plate. Both of these are also working and functioning well. 

Someone has messed with the wiring to get the rear lights working. There's no way to tell what they did or how to fix this.Possibly this has affected the fronts too.

• Like 1

Have forgot the particulars, do remember things went wonky after using my hazards, which I SELDOM use. Had to get the hazard switch out/up where I could squirt contact cleaner into it and work it several times which got stuff working again. Seems the turn signals and brake lights all work thru it?

Do you have a test light? It's the bestest cheapest trouble shooter I got.

• Like 1

The emergency 4 way switch is problematic on the 720. It disconnects the brake signal and connects the flasher to that side. When the switch is returned to OFF it can often travel right past the OFF position and disconnect the signals. Turn the signals on L or R and slowly push the switch toward the ON position. When the turn signal begins flashing, stop.

I spent over an hour on a friend's 720 trying to sort out why there were no signals to learn this. It's a common enough problem on all 720s.

• Like 1

OK guys, I'm back again. I was able to fix some of the issues but the turn signals issue still has me stumped.

Hopefully my explanation makes sense. So my turn signal lights turn on and work in the front. However, when turning on the turn signal or hazards they shut off and do not flash. (This is only on my front side of the truck).

Back Side turn signal turn on and also flash; hazards turn on and flash as well on the backside. 

I have replaced and installed new bulbs on the front side of the truck and it did not help overall. Lights still turn on but do not flash. 

So turn signals front and rear work normally, yes?

Hazard lights only flash properly on the rear, yes?

This is odd as the turn and hazard use the same wires including the fronts. Have to think about this.

Joogle the hazard light switch.Same as the inside lamp switch.My right front blinker stopped on me not long ago.The hazard showed both lights blinking.Took the right front lens off and the rubber connection and it was curroded.Cleaned it and it is working.Since I had my 720 every now and then you have to joogle the hazard switch.

No, the turn signals only work on the back side.

However, on the front side; the bulbs (brand new) do work and turn on but the moment i either turn on the signal (R or L) or hazards then the bulbs shut off on. (This is only for the front as the back side everything is working fine)

I have tried cleaning and jiggling the hazard switch inside the truck. I have also tried cleaning the connection points inside the lens and also the rubber connection. I have tried cleaning the flash relay under the dash as well. 

Look for the ground for all the turn signals. It should be near the battery on the rear, maybe the battery tray? It will have black wire(s) and bolt to the body or the battery tray. Make sure it's making good solid contact.