sd22 transmission bellhousing

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked into a 6 speed transmission and i came up with a transmission out of a Mazda with a rotary engine. As I remember it was the same make as the Datsun, but I don't remember what year. The plus side was that the starter was in a reverse location on the transmission, not the motor. I didn't follow up on this transmission because I already had a starter and transmission that were good. The transmission may be worth checking out further to see if it will actually be something of value to the SD22. If you are into making things work let me know.

Don

This is going into a now gas powered 720???? Converting to diesel won't be easy, and won't be as powerful as the gas engine. Your current differential may not be a perfect match to take advantage of the SD's low speed torque.

Only an SD transmission will have the starter in the SD location on the left. The 'bell' is incorporated into the front case half of the transmission. Probably just as easy to look for a complete SD 5 speed.

The later SD25 transmission will also fit but '85 and on had a larger 62mm counter bearing so the hole in the front case is larger than the earlier 56mm bearing. Just pop the 56mm off and put a new 62mm bearing on the counter shaft.