Fuel Pump - Datsun B210

Hi,

I am curious if there is any reason to change out the mechanical fuel pump with an electric one? I recently acquired a 1977 B210 and I am working on getting the fuel system working properly. I was told that the carb and fuel pump do not work and there was a new replacement electric pump (GMB 599-1020) in a box in the trunk. Is there any benefit to figuring out how to replace the mechanical one with this one or should I simply replace the mechanical one with a new mechanical pump?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I never go by what someone mistakenly tells me. Improper fuel delivery could be many reasons. Most likely of all, the fuel filter needs changing. They are cheap so if this doesn't fix it, nothing lost, and they should be replaced every 3-5 years anyway.

Change the filter and see.

Yes, I was able to get the motor to fire by using starter fluid only for a couple seconds. I have changed the filter and the same thing. I was told the carb and fuel pump are bad when I picked it up. I took the carb out and was thinking of trying to clean it although I am hesitant as I have never done that before and these carbs are hard to find apparently. The electric fuel pump is supposed to be low pressure and a good replacement. I am mostly curious if there is a good reason to install an electric one or if I should just clean or replace the original mechanical pump. 

First pull the fuel line off the carburetor and direct into a suitable container. Have someone turn the engine over with the starter. Gas should spurt out in pulses.......

No gas.... maybe carburetor is fine. How you going to know?

Yes there is fuel.... pump is fine. Concentrate on cleaning carburetor.

I prefer the mechanical pump to electric ones. They are simple, the right PSI, are pretty bulletproof, and its what the engine was designed for. When adding an electric pump, you have to come up with a mount, do wiring, add a regulator, add a return line, and unless you buy a decent pump, they don't last long. 

From '75 on the B-210 had a return line. You don't need a return with an electric pump really. The return allows some small flow back into the tank to circulate fresh cooler fuel past the carburetor making restarts easier on very hot days.

Yes I prefer mechanical pumps for the above reasons.  

Thank you all for the replies. I will test the mechanical one. Is anyone able to tell me which one of these lines on the fuel pump are which?  Which one goes to the filter and which one to the carb? Also, I was planning on draining the fuel tank because this car has been sitting in a garage since 1992. There looks to be a black plug of some sort on the bottom of the gas tank. The plug seems brittle. Is there anything I should know before trying to pry it out? 

PXL_20230709_180443791.jpg