Rear axle identify

Hi , I have a 1982 720 that’s a bag of parts . You guys have helped me out quite a bit . I have a rear axle bearing gone and im hoping to get the parts before I disassemble it ( it’s my only transportation today . Tag says HF43 the axle has a removable rear cover not a pumpkin . Are they all the same bearing and seal wise and if anyone has part numbers that would be great . I’m sure I’ll have to go to the local bearing shop for it . Thanks again , Richard . Also I did a timing chain and bought the parts for a 2.0 instead of 2.4 so I have the chain kit and the valve cover gasket if someone wants to pay the ride from 02367 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok , she’s apart . I believe it’s a h190 . The bearings are roller/ race bearings . They could not be adjusted , they were on so tight they had to be heated with a torch to get them off , problem was they had 1/8” in and out play , bearings looked good so I’m assuming its been apart and someone didn’t drive the race in all the way ( any other thoughts ?? ) I’m replacing everything . There are shims between the bearing cap ( small section the race is pressed into ) and the housing . I don’t see what the shims are for since it’s a spanner type adjusting nut .  Both sides had the same play but you only noticed one side once you took out the side with play ( could be my imagination , I don’t think the shafts touch each other . I’m weaseling thru it but any ideas would help out . Thanks , Richard . 

Removable rear cover would likely be a C200 I would think, but that would mean it was swapped in if the door tag is HF43.  I don't remember which 720 options had the C200...I do believe it was the 4x4's as you have, but I don't think all of them.  Not very helpful, I know 😅  I figured Mike would have responded by now...

Actually you just made something click in my head , Mike helped me with this rear before with gear numbers . I think we came up with the h190 but I’ll have to look back . Mostly you reminded me i Had a spare with no axles must have been the original but it was sitting in mud for years when I got it . It confirms that the axles were swapped and I’m assuming it was not set up right ,  anyway if anyone has info on the need for shims and bearing/ seal numbers that would help , going to the local bearing shop tomorrow with the bearing , race , and outer seal . Left the inner , doesn’t look bad just incase I can’t get that one . These bearings are grease packed not lubed by the gear oil ( what weight would be helpful also 

I was having a nap.

Sealed bearings???? are you talking about the FRONT differential???? That is an R-180

H-200 was on the '83 model year. The H-190 did not have the removable cover bolt on pan. The early '83s were built near the end of '82, so what's the exact build date? You may have an '83 model year truck. 

The shims are select fit to adjust the differential case ring gear sideways tighter, or looser, against the pinion gear.

The shims are at the 4bolt shaft cover just under the backer plate / race mounted cover if that makes sense , I didn’t take the carrier out . One of the steel shims has a rubber o ring attached , maybe to seal the grease packed area , no this is the rear diff . Thanks again

Better post a picture. I don't know what you have and some of the things you mention don't add up for me. I don't think there are any sealed bearings in an oil filled differential. If it has all that play maybe someone replaced with wrong bearings previously.

9 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Better post a picture. I don't know what you have and some of the things you mention don't add up for me. I don't think there are any sealed bearings in an oil filled differential. If it has all that play maybe someone replaced with wrong bearings previously.

I don't think he said sealed bearings, just seals...near bearings

On a C-200 or H-190 there is only the seals out at the axle ends. Oil is free to slosh around and even up the axle tubes. The front differential on the other hand does have seals  and a rear cover plate.

We need pictures.

I’ll send pics later today , the gear oil is sealed off with an inner seal in the axle tube after that there is a bearing and race packed with grease like a front wheel bearing and then an outer seal . It’s adjustable with a spanner and lock washer . 

Yeah trying to add pic from photo library and it doesn’t seem to work . I’ve ordered all the seals , bearing and race . Couple days out so see how it goes , that bearing was on so tight I can see why it wasn’t set right . It’s been shaking for years and getting worse . I’m not sure if I’m going to run into the same problem . Any size larger or smaller was significant sop it’s got to be right , might take it to my machinist to have him put an eye on it 

So now I’m kinda figuring it out . Taper bearing must be all the way in and locked , no adjustment . The shims are to set the race to bearing by spacing the two housings . But I have to look because in this senecio the axles have to bottom out in the housing somehow 

4E03992C-197A-4FA0-AA0A-07F8BBC1871E.jpeg