Engine failed in 1985 Nissan Sunrader

Well, got my first 720…a 1985 Nissan Sunrader, drove great until the engine failed after driving it across the country for 4000 miles and being 200 miles out from finishing it.  Think it blew a piston rod. Didn’t overheat or anything. Was going down a mountain on the highway in 5 gear and then BAM - no power. Dash lights went on.  Started making a terrible grinding crunching sound and put it in neutral and the sound stopped and then put it back in gear and didn’t turn back on and made more horrible sounds. Smoke coming out of the oil cap when removed. The timing chain is there and tight. The engine won’t turn over with the starter and don’t have a socket big enough to turn over by hand.

I checked coolant, no chocolate milk. I’m scratching my head as to what happened. It was running perfectly up until then, no signs of anything. These engines aren’t known for random catastrophic failure. 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you check the oil? Pull the filter off and cut it open, got shiny particles? Engines don't suddenly explode without prior warnings. It's a progression from bad to worse.

When starting did you try it while holding the clutch pedal down disconnecting the transmission rather than trying to start in neutral?

You'll have to redo your want ad as it's marked completed. When finished the ad don't hit the completed button, this ends the ad early.

• Like 1

The Z24 has 5 large main bearings and rod bearings. They will take a lot of abuse before the engine grenades. The thing is it will give a lot of warning before it lets go.

Take the exhaust side plugs out and try the starter again. With luck the head gasket blew and the coolant got in and it's hydro locked. That's an easy $30 fix but a lot of work.

Gotcha, even if it is hydro locked I found an engine with 80k on it for a couple hundred bucks locally. I do have a bit of a time crunch and I feel like dropping in a different engine will be quicker. The engine near me has less than half the miles my engine has but it’s a 4x4 z24 so I’m not sure if it’s any different besides oil pick up tube and pan.