Front control arm bush issues

So I opted to replace the original front control arm bush in my 510 with an aftermarket original looking bush from a reputable datsun part outlet where I live (link below). I was told to steer clear of the urethane ones as apparently they can be a bit noisy. I had massive issues getting the old bushes out as they were really in there, I ended up getting the rubber and inner tube out then using a hacksaw to gently get the outer sleeve out. I was pretty surprised when the new bush pushed in by hand, I have since put the control arm in and put all the rest back together only to find my control arm is now just about rubbing on the engine crossmember and the  new bush has approx 10-15mm sticking out the opposite side. Am I missing something? I have the nut and washer on one side but as far as I can remember there wasn't a washer/spacer on the engine mount side. Does anyone have any pics maybe of a standard setup of where the control arm mounts to the crossmember? or any help would be great. TIA

https://www.nzdatsunparts.co.nz/shop/datsun-510-1600-bluebird/datsun-bluebird-inner-control-arm-bush?gn=Datsun 510 1600 Bluebird&gp=8

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The outer race of the bushing is pressed in & shouldn't be sliding through the control arm - it should be firmly in place so that it doesn't slide or rotate.  Sounds like a poor fit by the aftermarket part.  I suppose you could tack weld it in place.  There should be a washer on both sides of the control arm bushing - if I recall correctly the inside washer is thicker and tapered to match the tapered shoulder on the bolt.  The inner race of the bushing is serrated to grip the washers.

• 2 months later...

I will have NOS front control arm bushings AND I will have good clean USED control arms, if the hole in your arms are wallowed out (thus a "loose" bushing.....?).  If your NEW bushings are reproductions, I would blame them for fitting "loose" in the control arm.  I likely also have good clean USED control arms with good original bushings, as many of my USED parts were pulled off cars in the 1980's, thus not high mileage!  PM if interested!

TJ