FS5C63A or F5C63A Dogleg 5 speed

Hi all, I put a post up a while ago hoping to get some info on a dogleg 5 speed I have been trying to track down parts for, I thought I would try one more time before I put it in the too hard basket. I am after synchros for it, I'm not 100% sure of the model but I'm pretty sure it's one of the above. If anyone has a parts list or any leads on getting some part numbers for it would be massively appreciated., it has the steel synchros (Porsche style??) rather than the brass ones in the FS5W63A. I have a potential supplier out of Japan but I need part numbers to check them off. TIA

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Warner (brass) are 32604-P0100 (S10 200sx, A10 and B210) changed to 32604-N9000 for the '80 A10 and the Z20 engine. So now you know what you don't want. North America didn't get a FS5C63A but Australia did get an L16SSS 610 with the infamous Long dogleg. That might have steel synchros.

I have a long dogleg somewhere with the ft/r cases removed. I could take a look for the tell tail brass synchros.

Thanks Mike that would be good if you could. Unfortunately there's really no info that I can find relating to the gearbox, obviously due to it only being offered down this way. I originally bought the motor/box out of a 610 but it was bolted to a L18SSS motor, it could have been changed out before that for all I know. Would be a shame to leave it in the corner of the shed  

Ahhh I should have checked your location. Make sense. The long dogleg was also used in Europe. A friend in Norway has several  from an 810SSS with L18SSS engines. The 810 is shorter than the ones we got here in N America which had 6 cylinder L24s in them.

There's a pair on the right, or is that left below the equator?

mG7qVGi.jpg

• Like 1

32361-20100 for one of them (maybe 5th?) Also the 620, '80 720, 810 and 280z 5 speeds all used 32361-20100 for 5th gear and IIRC it was a steel synchro. I have a picture and it looks like a thick washer with a gap in it, and not at all like the full circle bronze ones with the tiny teeth around the outside.

• Like 2

I looked around the dealers near me and woa... $156 CDN. I have looked it up on my parts list and it was $70 including a 50% dealer mark up. Can't be right. Unless for all 5?

Pulled my long dogleg and it's an FS5W63A with definitely brass synchros 32604-P0100 for all 5. Now, here in N America, it was common to import engines and transmissions from Japan in the '80 as it was cheaper than rebuilding them. We only got the short 26" 63A in the S10 200sx, and optional in the A10 HL510 and B-210. So these show up occasionally but certainly from Japan. 

If you are absolutely sure that there was an FS5C63A, C is for steel synchros and competition use, then this transmission is unique to the NZ/Australian 180B SSS.

• Like 1

Here's what I know Mike, It has 63a #2 stamped on the side and it has steel synchros. That is all. I had another hunt around the interweb and found a 610 parts list which has the FS5C63A and the F5C63A listed but it's a bit of a mission for a layman like myself to decipher the parts numbers. I do recall 20 odd years ago when I used to drive the car that I didn't think it had much of an overdrive in 5th which made me wonder if it was the F5C63A (S denotes a 5th gear overdrive I think?).

6 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I looked around the dealers near me and woa... $156 CDN

Does this mean you can get them??

Yes, S for special overdrive. If the S is missing then 5th is direct drive 1 to 1 like 4th normally is.

F floor shift R is remote

S special overdrive

5 number of forward gears

C competition or steel synchro. W is Warner synchro

63 distance in mm between main and countershaft. *

A series of shifter A is external, B is mounted on the transmission and C is internal. Having said this the 63A has a B style shifter so???

* this determines the two gear diameters. The two gear radii added can't be more than 63mm. The larger the gear diameter the thicker/stronger the gear teeth and more room for larger bearings. So relative transmission strength can be inferred. As in...

FS5C63A vs. FS5W71B 

The #2 is just to identify the blank that the mold cavity is made from. Or a revision. Has nothing to do with identifying it.

Further....

Apparently the FS5C63A was used on the 610 SSS Bluebird in Japan, NZ, Australia and Europe (or Scandinavia at least) from it's start in August '73 through to November '75 when it was changed to the FS5W63A and used from then on. So the C transmission was just the early one that was later dropped for the W.

• Like 1
On 6/5/2023 at 8:23 PM, Green1600 said:

I had another hunt around the interweb and found a 610 parts list which has the FS5C63A and the F5C63A listed but it's a bit of a mission for a layman like myself to decipher the parts numbers. I do recall 20 odd years ago when I used to drive the car that I didn't think it had much of an overdrive in 5th which made me wonder if it was the F5C63A (S denotes a 5th gear overdrive I think?).

Does this mean you can get them??

4th to 5th OD is a 14.6% change, you'd feel this, but if it has 5 speeds, where 5th is direst drive like 4th then the changes would be very slight. DD 5 speeds are more for racing.

Here's the steel servo ring availability and price from Bjorn. Again I don't know if this is the same ring used in the FS5C63A or not.

Transmission – Datsun Roadster Parts (datsun-roadster-parts.com)

Datsun Roadster SPL311 TRANSMISSION from RALLYE ENTERPRISES, LTD

Transmission 4 Speed - Datsun Parts

Datsun Sports 1600/2000 1600 Transmission Shaft & Gear (4-spd Servo Synchro) (carpartsmanual.com)

• Like 1