Datsun 510 won't start

hey yall, won a 510 at an auction. was running fine on inspection but since taking delivery it won't start at all. battery is fine. headlights work when ignition turned but signals aren't working at all on the front or rear. fan and other things working. it cranks but no start. new to all of this and don't know what to check next? could the engine be flooded?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All lighting works without the ignition on. So should the brake lights and horn.

What does gas gauge say? Needs the ignition on

1/ Take a spark plug wire off and put an old plug in the end and hold against the head or any grounded surface. Have someone try to start the engine. Got spark??? If yes then assume it's not electrical.

2/ Look at the front glass on the carburetor is it half full of gas????

Did you pump the gas pedal once to set the choke?

• Like 1

once i'm back home i'll check and let you know. also the car is a twin carb so not sure whether this a difference?

and yes I did pump the gas to set the choke. i'm not sure what the transportation company did though so not sure if they could've screwed anything up when starting the car? i apologize if these are dumb questions

14 hours ago, datzenmike said:

All lighting works without the ignition on. So should the brake lights and horn.

What does gas gauge say? Needs the ignition on

1/ Take a spark plug wire off and put an old plug in the end and hold against the head or any grounded surface. Have someone try to start the engine. Got spark??? If yes then assume it's not electrical.

2/ Look at the front glass on the carburetor is it half full of gas????

Did you pump the gas pedal once to set the choke?

I have DM'd you with some pics and info :)