Best tire size for 74 260Z

zeke5551

I know you've answered thsi question a million times, but I want to be sure. Putting my stock 260Z on the ground again with new tires. Had some wider slot mags when I bought it, but I have some 14 x 6 western 4 spoke flower mags to put on instead. What's the largest tire that will fit in the stock fender well with out changing the shocks?

Thanks, Zeke

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you change the strut???

You want the same, or close, tire diameter so performance and speedometer remains unchanged and simply go wider. 

As for rims you need to find out the off set of the rim. This dictates where the wheel sits in relation to the inside of the fender and the suspension. Too much negative off set and the tire sticks outside the fender and the body will come down on the tread on bumps, too much positive off set and the tire is set in too far and mar rub strut or spring. An 8" tire might fit but if too far in or out it won't work.

Mount a rim and take a look. Will a 6" wide tire fit? Is there enough room to go to 7" or 1/2" wider per side? 8" maybe and 1" wider per side.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

yes, 195/70-14 sounds like the factory size. Your speedometer should read correct assuming the gauge and other items are functional.

205/60-15 is factory for 15 inch wheels (came on the 280ZX turbo)

You can use a tire size calculator to figure out other sizes depending on what size of wheel you plan to use.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...