MoPar is the American version of Datsun. ... errh, WHAT?

Sold all my Datsun shit except my old '65 320 during China Virus and somehow ended up going down the Mopar rabbit hole. 

It got me thinking.... The current resurgence (fanboi craze) of Datsun shit is similar to the fanatical Mopar zealots. 

Let me explain:

For me, Datsuns, way back when, were an oddball car. Not so oddball you'd be classified with those British-car loving queers, stinky VW hippies or Volvo lovers, but rather, Datsuns were owned by people who were like that one uncle who only came around on 4th of July or a shotgun wedding to drink beer and tell tall tales of him dropping acid at Van Halen's 1984 tour... that is... if he were lucky to be out of jail that year to celebrate. 

You see, back then Datsun were so cheap or free. Infact, you could actually get paid to pull that B210 "everyone had in high school" out of the back yard and dude's ol' Lady would provide lemonade or sweet tea. 

But something happened. 

Right around the year 1996 Al Gore invented the internet. This led to many car enthusiast clubs to be hosted on Yahoo! and Geocities pages. Simple text, No build thread, just a basic calendar outlining the month's events that happened at the same Pizza Parlor on the same "Every third Saturday of the month" and a single picture of the group's founder's wife in front of his "Rotisserie Restored [insert non-desirable, quirky car here]".

Then, the holy trinity of internet shit storm: Instagram, Facebook, YouTube.

Somehow, I found myself in a world of pseudo-Mopar Cock Suckers: People paying astronomical prices for rusty junk. And just like that: faster than a Jew with a 50%-off coupon DATSUN was the new name of highly desired shit box. 

........So, anyway, like I said. Sold most my Datsun collection and got into buying, selling and driving old Mopars.

Now I can't stop drinking Miller High-Life and talking about how I shouldn't have sold my '68 Barracuda. Or Saying things like "That's nothing. My old LO23 Hemi-Cuda would lift the front left tire of the ground -- All motor!"

Or, like, when I hear "Cat Scratch Fever" and slam my beer down and ask my buddy "Dudn't this jus make ya wanna bite the ass off'a cat?

Similiarly: "Needs Cragars" or "Needs shackles, N50's on the back end, Mickey Thompsons up front, 3/4 race cam and hot Accel coil."

Here's some pics of the garbage I been playing with:

255828931_259429429577265_7768449907070258266_n.jpg

Edited by mhub91
  • mhub91 changed the title to MoPar is the American version of Datsun. ... errh, WHAT?
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My dad bought his first car, a 5 year old '51 Chev and we had it till '65 when he bought a one year old '64 Dodge Polara? I think. I was 15 and it changed my life forever. I drew race car art for locker doors and everything had a hemi sticking up through the hood. This is odd because I lived near the Oshawa GM plant and everyone drove GM. I inherited that car when I started work and in '70 bought a new 340 Dart. You can imagine what 300+ hp in a 2,900 pound car can do to you. I actually worked at GM for a couple of years in the '70s and , yes I drove a '79 Charger into the parking lot. Remember when the low compression engines came out? well on cold winter mornings after nigh shift my 318 fired right up while the new cars needed a boost. 

• 7 months later...

I went the other way around (American muscle to Nissan). My first car in highschool (90s) was a 68 chevelle. Then a buddy of mine purchased a 90 300zx. He let me drive it around the block. It was an NA but I was enamored by the look, sound, and feel of the car. Soon after I bought my first nissan and I haven't turned back since. I will say tho, one of my co workers recently had an airbagged, LS swapped, 72 caprice classic for sale and I almost jumped on it. The last time I felt like that about a car was when I first saw the chevelle. If I ever get my TT 300zx running I know I'm going to get myself in trouble. I'd never thought I'd say this but I could see myself in an American cruiser these days.