A87 cylinder head rebuild HELP!

Im in an engine rebuild class in college and after all the cleaning and repairing my Datsun/Nissan A87 cylinder head it is now time to put it all back together. But I'm having trouble finding the specs for things like valve adjustment, torque specs, etc. I have a repair book but the secs aren't always helpful and some aren't even listed on the book itself and instead tell not to checks a place it most likely doesn't exist any more. The instructions and specs on the book are also meant for the OVH version of the engine. It has been helpful in some cases and it has gotten me so far, but now it is crystal that I rebuild it correctly for a passing grade and specs are necessary after this point. 

I would greatly appreciate if any one can find some specs or maybe a repair manual for rebuilding my engine. The process so far has been really fun and I want to make sure I do it right.

• Like 1
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually OHV is for push rod engines suck as the J and A series. An A87 would suggest you are working on an L series engine. All L4 and L6 are OHC.

May be too late, but if the cam is in, NEVER lay the head face down, lay it on it's side. It's too easy to bend a valve that is off it's seat.

Camshaft tower bolts 13-15 ft. lb. Take great care as these strip very easily.

Head bolts 50-60 ft. lbs.

Cam sprocket bolt 90-115 ft. lbs.

Valve lash should be checked with engine hot but to get there set cold 0.008" intake and 0.010" exhaust. When you get a chance and engine is run up to full temperature... 0.010" intake and 0.012" exhaust. Cold setting is fine but it assumes a few things like the clearances will open up to the correct setting from heat expansion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1