A14 Automatic transmission compatibility

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlikely as the L4N71B uses a special bell housing that is not the same as the 3N71B.

Top L4N71B from '84 Maxima. Bottom 3N71B probably from 620 or 710.

OJcTdVr.jpg

First L4N71B was '83 Maxima. This is with L series bolt up pattern. The '84 300zx used the L4N71B and the 300zx turbo was an extremely heavy duty version and called an E3N71B. The '84 S12 with CA engines also used the L4N71B and an E3N71B with the VG30 after '86.

There were 3N71Bs used with the A series engine. The removable bell from one of these would likely fit the '82 and up 720, '83 280zx (turbo and n/a) and S110 200sx 3N71B transmissions that did have a locking torque converter. This assumes that the 6 bolt flex plate from one of these 3N71B with the locking torque converter will bolt to the A series crankshaft. Locking torque converters use a much larger torque converter and matching flex plate, not compatible with the older 3N71Bs.

L4N71B torque converter and 3N71B to the right

jHpNYpk.jpg

L4N71B flex plate and 3N71B to the right.

eKhqQoO.jpg

Well keep in mind it is always in gear and starts from idle so it needs a strong low and mid range. If it doesn't makle power till well above 4k it's going to be hellish slow getting there.

• Thanks 1

I built a hot E16 with dual 44's that made over 140hp (for the street), but the owner insisted on using an automatic. We had a custom converter built with a slightly higher stall, but the trans was otherwise stock. It was an absolute turd. The mix of high RPM motor with the stock slushbox, they were diametrically opposed.

If you can get inside the trans and adjust the shift points and firmness, and have a converter made with a lockup, that would be the ticket.

• Like 1
On 5/4/2023 at 6:30 PM, datzenmike said:

Unlikely as the L4N71B uses a special bell housing that is not the same as the 3N71B.

Top L4N71B from '84 Maxima. Bottom 3N71B probably from 620 or 710.

OJcTdVr.jpg

First L4N71B was '83 Maxima. This is with L series bolt up pattern. The '84 300zx used the L4N71B and the 300zx turbo was an extremely heavy duty version and called an E3N71B. The '84 S12 with CA engines also used the L4N71B and an E3N71B with the VG30 after '86.

There were 3N71Bs used with the A series engine. The removable bell from one of these would likely fit the '82 and up 720, '83 280zx (turbo and n/a) and S110 200sx 3N71B transmissions that did have a locking torque converter. This assumes that the 6 bolt flex plate from one of these 3N71B with the locking torque converter will bolt to the A series crankshaft. Locking torque converters use a much larger torque converter and matching flex plate, not compatible with the older 3N71Bs.

L4N71B torque converter and 3N71B to the right

jHpNYpk.jpg

L4N71B flex plate and 3N71B to the right.

eKhqQoO.jpg

I've been giving this some thought and was wondering....the larger bell housing would be required if you wanted to use the locking TC...I suspect that the larger bellhousing will not bolt to an A engine so I'm really back to using the smaller standard TC....is that right? I'm new to Nissan, so please let me know if I'm off base here.

I guess an adapter plate could be made, but you would need a flex plate spacer to go along with it...

The A series engines probably do not have any locking torque converters so there is likely no corresponding flex plate that would accept the larger torque converter and the A series crankshaft.