Tach install

Airplanedoc

I took a tach out of a 1984 720 4WD and installed it my 1985 720, I found the connector behind the instrument cluster and verified the resistor was installed but the tach doesn’t work.  I don’t know if it was a working tach, is there anything I may be missing?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you ever see it working?

It's remotely possible that one of your coils is not working... the one that your tach gets it's signal from. Just pull one intake and one exhaust side plug wire off and put a plug in the end. Hold against the grounded head and have someone turn the engine with the starter. Got spark on both? their fine.

I have a few extra tachometers still in the speedometer.There is one on Ebay for sale but he is trying to sell it and retire.He want's 229.95.Make me a offer,plus shipping.New one's were 224.09 when Nissan had them.You would be better off to buy the whole speedometer at his price.There is a speedometer on Ebay for 200 bucks.I know that my extra one's work cause I tested one and the speedometer I had in mine was taking out and replaced with one with a clock,but I did change the speedo with the mileage with my old one and put it in the new one so I will have the original mileage.I will guarantee that it will work.When ever you take out a speedo,the tachometer dial will move.Mine did and when I started it,it would stay at 1000 rpm's when turned off.I had to turn the dial all the way to the right and turn it back to zero and that reset it.Try that on your's.Mine turned all the way to the highest rpm's and I had to turn it back twice,once after It started and ended up at 1000 rpm's.When I put the other speedometer in,both tachometer's had the same reading at idle.I also had to replace the temperature gauge on my original speedometer,one of the wires burned up and the gauge was reading low.So check both your white wires on your temperature gauge.

Edited by Thomas Perkins