Shift boot

I’m sure everybody has modified their 510 in multiple ways for a 5 speed 280ZX transmission. But I got this idea from Troy Ermish he told me a shift boot from a MGB should work. It’s an oval shape so it fits the narrow portion of the transmission tunnel Pretty good. I haven’t seen it done anywhere else so I thought I would share with the community. I posted this in my build thread hella 510 no. 2. eBay link https://www.ebay.com/itm/153649039405?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=1WRZOEKSTC-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=BS1r6XtJR9S&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY 

I did have to modify a little to fit the contour of the tunnel. I also used oval headed sheet metal screws to screw into the tunnel. It does fit around the shifter very tight so you may need a little bit of silicone lube to assist. It is prolly made in China. But for the price it’s pretty decent and the thickness of the rubber is fairly thick quality is OK. Seems like it should hold up for a while. If you have any inquiries, feel free to ask.

57D950EA-6324-451F-8FB4-C48BA3958592.jpeg

CD0A22DD-B797-4520-A426-ED0751D375E3.jpeg

97F30DA1-56BB-4B7B-B63A-CC52EA3C7797.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yup, I've been in out of British parts for 40years, used an MGB boot & chrome ring on a couple cars!  I found slicing a couple of very shallow groves on the ID of the rubber boot hole around the Datsun shift lever, lessened the "drag" of the rubber on the shift lever!  A little lube helps, but it gets on the shift lever above the rubber boot & eventually collects a l'il dust/dirt!