Electrical Issues

Brayden

I suspect my alternator is going bad but there are some other issues I cant quite figure out. Something is killing my battery. I have the battery light on, the brake light on, and a high idle. After about 15 minutes my gauges started going back down to 0 (temp and gas). This has been the first time it ran in a long time. Battery was charged and ready to go but it must have started dying while it was running because of the alternator. Anyone have similar issues or related causes? I have searched for weeks trying to find something and all I've seen is either alternator or voltage regulator. It also wont let me kill the high beams?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With it running at idle, briefly (and I mean briefly) disconnect one of the battery cables. If the engine quits then the alternator is not charging. (the charge light tells us that but just to be sure) This could be the alternator or it's the internal regulator that tells the alternator what to do.

Check the Black fusible link, it's near the positive battery post. If it's blown the alternator can't send the charge back into the battery.

Go to the Auto part store and have them check out the battery and alternator.If the battery is bad.They will not be able to check the alternator till you replace the battery.If the alternator is over charging,it will cause relay's to make noise and other electrical problem's..Could be what Mike has stated.

Found out the alternator is not charging, hooked up a multimeter. In response to Mike's reply about the fuse next to the post, I did not see one. I don't know if engines have any differences but I forgot to mention it was a Z24.

Fusible link, looks just like a wire but designed to melt like a fuse but more slowly. The special Hypalon plastic coating is designed to not catch fire. There are usually 2 Green and one Black fusible link. There are about 4" long and have plastic connectors you they can be removed to be replaced.