Anyone know of a 6ft bed for a 720 near washington state?

Landen_cesalYT

I'm looking for a mostly rust free bed but will settle for the skins of the bed and tailgate. I live in washington state and my 720s original bed was mostly bondo and rust so id like to put one on sooner than later. As for the bed skins ill just add them to the rollcage using brackets down the road but a whole bed would be more convient.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were 3 beds used on the 720. '80-'82, '83-'84 and '85-'86. A perfect match would be an '83-'84 but anycan be made to work.

'80-'82 have the tail lights horizontally across the back while the rest were vertical in the back corners like yours the '80-'84 had and outwards facing lip and a horizontal seam mid way up the sides that always rust out. The '85-'86 had a seamless side and a liner inside to protect against cargo damage to the outside.

On 2/24/2023 at 4:59 PM, datzenmike said:

There were 3 beds used on the 720. '80-'82, '83-'84 and '85-'86. A perfect match would be an '83-'84 but anycan be made to work.

'80-'82 have the tail lights horizontally across the back while the rest were vertical in the back corners like yours the '80-'84 had and outwards facing lip and a horizontal seam mid way up the sides that always rust out. The '85-'86 had a seamless side and a liner inside to protect against cargo damage to the outside.

Called my local pull n save and they have a bed off an '81 with minimum rust should I grab it?

They also have oem tail lights for it.

As long as both (your '83 and the '81) are Long Beds or 91.5" or about 6.5' inside. You can't fit a long bed onto a king cab or regular cab short wheelbase truck. Rear wheel will not fit the opening.

The 83 has tail lights in the upper corners of the box, the '81 and horizontal below the back of the bed. If the rear harness comes with it, it may be simply plug and play, maybe. There is also a harness connection under the passenger seat that un-clips and fits through a hole in the floor. This is for the electric fuel pump, lighting and gas tank sender. Hopefully they don't just cut it off.

The '80-'82 beds are the same, the '83-'84 are the same. It not a perfect match, but visually will be a closer match than to the '85-'86 boxes.

If your rusty 1983 long bed has the taillights in the bed corners rather than under the tailgate the 81 bed will not fit as the 1981 cab is shorter and the bed is longer than the 1983 long bed as the 1983+ regular cabs are longer and the beds are shorter.

If you have a kingcab then all kingcabs have the same bed and all will mount, but the 1983+ taillights and wiring are different, before 1983 the brake lights are separate from the turn signals, after 1982 the brake lights and turn signals are combined, but I suspect you can make the rear lights work properly on the early bed, you just would not use the turn signal socket in the taillights.