5 speed trans input shaft seal

LadyZ

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes after bolts are out use a socket extension and reach into the clutch arm hole. Place on the clutch arm pivot ball and tap on it till the cover plate loosens.

e8EVsAq.jpg

I learned this the hard way. I hammered on the input shaft and snapped that extended nose off ruining it.

I doubt you will find a gasket but you have options. Use the cover plate to trace a new one out on gasket paper. Use scissors and a dollar store hole punch for the round bolt holes.

8NZFvQk.jpg

Or, just use RTV sparingly, not like a Chevy owner though. That stuff will squish inside where the bearings are. You only need a smear.

• Like 1

Yup that'll work.

The blue gasket is for the thermostat to the head. In all I used a cereal box to make another for the thermostat and the water pump and I think the oil pump. For the oil pump I bought very thin gasket paper. Nowhere in town would have them but could order them. That's two trips into town... but I want it now!

• Thanks 1

Be careful to make sure the trans spins after you installed the cover. Some trans use long and short bolts and if you install the long bolt in the wrong hole, it will hit the counter gear.

That said, you should use sealant on the open threaded holes otherwise it can leak.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Be careful to make sure the trans spins after you installed the cover. Some trans use long and short bolts and if you install the long bolt in the wrong hole, it will hit the counter gear.

That said, you should use sealant on the open threaded holes otherwise it can leak.

Yes, Thanks the top left one is the long bolt 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Looks like a '77-'78 280z, first year '79 280zx or '78-'79 810. No way to really say as they were identical. The '77-'79 truck also used this transmission but it had emissions switches that the EFI cars did not.

This is '82-84 Maxima trans, looks similar to the late 280zx trans. This link below shows all the trans it fits.

https://datnissparts.com/transmission-breather-vent-4-speed-f4c63-f4w63-5-speed-fs5c71a-f5c71b-fs5c71b-fs5w71b-fs5w71c-38322-78000-can-replace-38322-n0100

Hard to tell in the photo, wrong angle. If the speedometer hold down bolt is at the 6 o'clock position then yes it's a transmission built after '80. Maximas were '81-'84 in rear wheel drive.  If it has this little bolt on feature on the driver's side this is another indication of an '80 or newer FS5W71B

ZHnh4rX.jpg

BTW this is a mid ratio transmission which I think is the best overall 71B transmission.