Rear windscreen removal/refit for 120y sedan

pleb

Hey all,

I need to replace the seal on the rear windscreen in my 120y as it's leaking in my boot, and was wondering what's the best way to remove the windscreen?

I had a look at some vids on Youtube and it seems pretty straight forward.

It's mainly getting it in that concerns me. Do I need a rope inside the seal, or does it seal just with a sealant/butyl?

Any tips I need to know?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually the easiest way to remove is to cut the old seal on the outside and push the window out gently... 

Having a second person does help...

The rope is purely for install...

The seal goes on the window the rope helps pull the seal over the metal... no sealant on this type of seal... 

• Thanks 1

The boot. That's rather an English term or British Isles. Is it used in the rest of Europe? 

120Y is what we call a B210.

If not saving the seal, skip the following...

If removing or installing, do it on a hot day or heated garage so the rubber is more forgiving and flexible. I start in a top corner  and push outwards gently breaking the contact of the rubber seal to the body and pushing the seal out with the glass over several feet. Spritzing the lifted rubber seal with water and detergent mix will greatly lubricate it and allow it to slip out easier. The glass will actually flex.... but only so far. Un-tuck the rubber seal from the body and push it out with the glass across the top and slightly down the side you started with slowly extending in both directions. Might help to have a second set of hands applying steady pressure outwards in the middle of where you have loosened it away. A blunt butter knife is also handy for getting under the rubber lip.

For installing have a spray bottle of water and liquid detergent handy and lightly coat the seal with liquid detergent to make the rubber slippery. Installation is the reverse of removal. Set the glass inside the rubber seal and start installation along the bottom carefully pulling the seal lip inside the vehicle working outward from the middle towards the bottom corners. I haven't the patience for using a thin rope or my technique is wrong but put the rope inside the seal before the glass leaving the ends at the bottom middle starting point and inside the vehicle. As you progress along the bottom gently pull the string out which will lift the inner lip up and inside as you go. Spritz with soapy water to keep slippery, have someone push gently inward from the outside. Patience.  

Leaks can also be rust where the seal contacts the body. Not really the seal's fault and rust damage must be fixed and sealed before the new seal is installed.

• Like 1

@Crashtd420 Thanks mate, I have another person to help so that will be easier. And I'll skip on the sealant.

@datzenmike Haha I should have said 'trunk', I'm from Australia so it's boot down here 🙂 I have a new seal being sent, but will follow your in depth instructions. I'll definitely be fixing the rust, but the seal also has massive cracks around it which wouldn't help.

Thanks again.