Help with transmission

Aqualung

10 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

IF... it is from the breather it could be the transmission is over filled. The fill hole and bung are usually on the left side about half way up the side. Full is when it reaches this level. It is possible to force oil in under pressure or lean the vehicle over to fill. Remove bung and see if it drains and that should do it. Other than that perhaps incorrect oil that does not have the proper anti foam package. It should have GL-4 80-90 w in it.

I will have to investigate more thoroughly. The truck was pushed into my garage and hadn’t ran in over ten years and still managed to leak a puddle of fluid on the floor in a few days from the area in the pic without ever being started.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, datzenmike said:

Any way for water to get in the transmission? Stored outside?

Nope was stored in a garage the entire time except maybe a few months it was outside with a car cover over it.  I think I’ll start by cleaning it all up and changing the trans fluid and make sure it’s filled with the proper amount and go from there.

17 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Any way for water to get in the transmission? Stored outside?

Hey mike another quick question about spark plugs.  My clymer manual says my truck originally came with NGK BP5ES plugs but find any nearby.  Advance auto search comes up with BR6ES plugs as replacement,  would they be ok to use?

5 is hotter than a 6. Never seen a 5 on L series engines. Popular wisdom has it that if you have a real oil burner where the plugs constantly foul, running a hotter plug keeps them cleaner. Running a hot plug is also likely to ping more in hot weather. The same year 510 with the same engine uses a BP6E plug, my '73 factory service manual for the 620 truck with the L16 engine calls for B6ES. Clymer manuals simply copy the FSM specs and probably made a mistake. BP6ES should be fine. Word of warning, don't buy NGK off line (Amazon) or from a box store. There are a lot of counterfeit NGK branded crap out there.  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

5 is hotter than a 6. Never seen a 5 on L series engines. Popular wisdom has it that if you have a real oil burner where the plugs constantly foul, running a hotter plug keeps them cleaner. Running a hot plug is also likely to ping more in hot weather. The same year 510 with the same engine uses a BP6E plug, my '73 factory service manual for the 620 truck with the L16 engine calls for B6ES. Clymer manuals simply copy the FSM specs and probably made a mistake. BP6ES should be fine. Word of warning, don't buy NGK off line (Amazon) or from a box store. There are a lot of counterfeit NGK branded crap out there.  

The spark plug gapping is listed as .031-0.035 in the manual, is that reliable?QtzIM6Q.jpg