A13 Engine Cylinder Head Upgrade

Hi all. I am writing this post to ask if I can put a 990 head on my A13 I have ask a13 racers and they said it would work.. I want to build up my motor for economy.. what do u think datsun mike?? Will other a14/15 head work on a A13?? Any and all info is greatly appreciated..

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lol I'm not the one to ask about the A series.

A13s were in the early '74 B-210? Blocks before '74 (maybe even the early '74???) had an oil hole in the block that passed oil through the head gasket and up into the head to oil the valve train. Pre '74 heads had this oil hole (bottom head picture) Later heads fed the oil up the head bolt hole.

http://datsun1200.com/uploads/photos/15689.jpg

Below. Check your A13 for this hole in the block that is sealed. (green arrow) The oil gallery is cross drilled below and into the head bolt hole. If it is like this a '74 and up head will work on it including the 990. Just check this to be safe.

http://datsun1200.com/uploads/photos/20443.jpg

Thanks datzenmike,  you always have the answers lol.  who is the A Series Engine Guru??  Also I have a 728 from a FU engine 1977 era B210 but it has the oil hole you showed in the picture in it, can I still use that head with my A13 its oil is plugged.. mine is a 74 engine.  is the 728 head oiled from the bolt or just the  third hole??? 

24 minutes ago, 74 B210 said:

Thanks datzenmike,  you always have the answers lol.  who is the A Series Engine Guru??  Also I have a 728 from a FU engine 1977 era B210 but it has the oil hole you showed in the picture in it, can I still use that head with my A13 its oil is plugged.. mine is a 74 engine.  is the 728 head oiled from the bolt or just the  third hole??? 

A13 is the newer tall deck block so is A14 style oil passage.

Interchangeability

Any cylinder head old or new can be used with old or new engine.

• A pre-1974 cylinder head will bolt onto any engine block, with no modification required.
  • A 1974-onward engine block will work with any cylinder head. But, in the case of bolting a 1974-onward cylinder head to a pre-1974 engine block, a minor oil passage must be created.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Cylinder_Head_Identification#Interchangeability

27011.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1