69 roadster ka24e help

Cforman

Hello I got 2 questions for anyone out there to help a fellow Datsun owner. My Datsun roadster came with a k24e from a d21 and they ran the speedometer cable to the side of the transmission but it doesn't work. If I turn it by hand I can get it to move in revsrse so it got me thinking the spindle gear is spinning the wrong way. Anyone out there run into this??? Thanks 

Also I hooked the oil pressure gauge to the filter housing and it wont change as well

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The speedometer can only read in the clockwise direction, can't read reverse. If twisting the cable the speedometer jumps up the dial this is the correct direction it should turn.

Only the '87-'93 D21 used a speedometer cable and from '94 on they were an electric sensor. So.....

Are you trying to use the 5 speed speedometer sleeve that is in the D21 transmission with your Roadster cable??

dE70HSq.jpg

Does the Roadster cable look like the left above? Does the transmission end look like the right above??? Can you post a picture of the transmission sleeve like the right above?

18 hours ago, Cforman said:

Also I hooked the oil pressure gauge to the filter housing and it wont change as well

I'm guessing that the D21 did not use an actual gauge, or perhaps an option, but just a low pressure red warning light. See if your Roadster pressure sender will fit the filter mount. It's a BSPT thread pretty much universal for Nissan

5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I'm guessing that the D21 did not use an actual gauge, or perhaps an option, but just a low pressure red warning light. See if your Roadster pressure sender will fit the filter mount. It's a BSPT thread pretty much universal for Nissan

Adap ts to SAE thread are readily available.  See after market gauge section at your favorite parts chain.

All Datsuns and later all Nissans into the 2000s at least (probably still are today) are British Standard Pipe Taper (BSPT) This is a hold over from when Nissan got into Bed with Austin of Great Britain in the mid 50s to build their cars under license in Japan..