WilliamSC

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Hi datzenmike,

I finally got up to my property to check the transmission. Since it's been a few weeks, I'll provide a refresher on the issue of concern. I have a 1983 Nissan 4X4 with a 5 speed. I was using it to pull out my other truck that got stuck and now I have no 1st gear. All other gears appear to be working fine. Recently I cranked up the truck and with the clutch out and the engine running, I was able to move the shifter into the 1st gear position without any grinding...etc. Nothing happened, the truck did not move at all when I did this. Any advise on what is the most likely issue?

Many Thanks,

William

Has to be internal. Second gear is on the same shift rod and shift fork and both gears share the same synchronizer hub, so they must be working.

1/ I suppose the splines on the mainshaft may have stripped right at first gear location. That's a rare occurrence.

2/ First gear on the mainshaft has broken all the teeth off.

3/ Another is the first gear teeth are broken off the countershaft.

Drain the oil. See what falls out.

Make sure you have it in 2-wheel drive.I cleaned my 4x4  shifter boot long ago and moved the shifter to clean the boot and didn't put in back into 2 wheel drive and started it and it wouldn't move.Finally I realized that I didn't put it back into 2 wheel drive.Do this and no one will steal it.