73 620 Brake Booster

PharmeA

Was just seeing what my options are with getting either a rebuilt or new booster. Or if I can interchange another booster with mine. I used the search but idk if my phone is just a pos but I couldn't find anything specifically speaking of a booster interchangeability. I have all around new drums. Seems blue hands no longer is selling the disc brake conversion. Haven't checked beebani but I was trying to keep my 14s and I heard that beebanis requires 15s or higher but info can always be wrong. Either way, I already upgraded the drums so ill try and ride them for a bit before i get sick of being scared to death every stop. 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's not much to go wrong with them. If your brakes are properly bled and adjusted pump them several times to exhaust any remaining vacuum. Depress the brake pedal firmly and hold down. Start the engine. What should happen is the pedal will drop slightly as the engine vacuum rises. If it does... the booster is working.

If idle is bad or erratic when the brake is applied check the hose to the intake for cracks and leaks. If that doesn't help the booster may be leaking.

I think the boosters got stronger over the run of the 620 because the master cylinder size also increased, try a later model.

The B210 is similar in size. It has to be smallish to clear the steering column below it. Car steering columns are at a steeper angle than a truck so there is more room.

Ok thanks guys. The brakes is honestly the final step for it to be road worthy and the passenger rear drum and booster is all that is left thats original. The lower spring on the rear drum crumbled away and it's been hard to find a rear hardware kit. Rockauto is completely out, fronts only. I was able to reuse the driver side springs but the passenger is ruined. I found 10" drum brake hardware kits but just unsure of fitment because all the pics of them are on American trucks.

I have a 73 620 with the small booster.  I used the rebuild service on RockAuto.com.  It is like $80 bucks.  Sent it off and had it back in about 10 days.  As soon as you pay for it on RockAuto they send you an email with instructions on how to ship and they provide a shipping label that you can print.