1976 620 Halo Headlight Install

Hello all!

I'm attempting to install halo headlights into my '76 620. These are the headlights I've purchased (https://www.amazon.com/DVISUV-Headlight-Headlights-Compatible-Thunderbird/dp/B09963FDWK/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=5.75%2Bled%2Bheadlight&qid=1643658816&sprefix=5.75%2B%2Caps%2C90&sr=8-10&th=1).

I would like to wire in the halo portion of the headlight. The 3 prong connectors fit right into to the harness that is in place & the low beams come on. I'm wondering if I can simply splice the halos into the turn signal wires that are already in place. I'm hoping if I do that, the appropriate turn signal will power on to the appropriate side of the car I want the signal on. I'm also hoping that the halo would be powered on by the same power source the turn signal light uses..

Does that sound like it could work?

Additionally, only the 2 outside headlights power on. The inner 2 headlights do not. I also only have low beam lights, no high beams. The dude I got the truck from said all I have to do is wire them. Sounds easy enough, except I've never done any auto electrical stuff, so here I am :D. 

Another concern of mine if I go this route is splicing too much power from a single wire (the turn signal power source) to power the halos. Is that a possibility or am I a dingus? I can provide photos of anything y'all may need. 

-James 

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/neAgByY

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Turn signals will flash only when on, so the halo would flash with them. Otherwise they will be off.

Running lights (parking) are only on when the headlight switch is in the first and second on position. Halos will only be on when parking and headlights are on.

I assume you what the halo on when just driving? You will need a power source that is ON with the ignition such as the idle cut solenoid, automatic choke heater, ignition ballast resister and the voltage regulator. I imagine the halo light is just another LED and they don't draw much power so it would not affect any of these wires.

Also in regard to no high beams, cany speak for later 620 but early 620 have a headlamp relay on the radiator support in front of the battery and in past experience ive carefully removed the cover and cleaned up the tungsten contacts and the highs worked again..with a little Love and assuming the harness isnt brittle and cracked up they are quite bright. Thanks to Tenino Ted for this knowledge.

Thank you for the reply! I think I'm going to order an H4 harness to power the lights. For some reason the halos illuminated amber and the turn signal flashed white when I temporarily connected them earlier today as a test. For the high beams where should I be looking for the light relay inside the cab?

Thanks for the replies

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, here to give an update.

After installing the lights I decided to go with the amber Halo's as DRLs. I did not use the amber halos as the turn indicator because the flashing was out of sync between the two halos on the driver's side and the bottom driver's side turn indicator. To perform the wire I ordered 2 H4 harnesses (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089M4DC45?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details), and have them routed directly to the battery. I connected the DRL wires between the headlights and spliced that into the parking lots on either side of the car. Unfortunately the driver side parking light won't turn on, but I believe that is due to the connector as the wires are still being feed power & it still operates as a turn signal. .

Overall super cool & fun project. I plan on fixing the driver's parking light soon. It uses a really weird 3 prong connector that seems super old. 

https://imgur.com/a/9FK28JK