Just bought a 1983 720 king cab 2wd 5-speed

dimitrisprophet

So, I just picked up a 720 for dirt cheap and bought several parts for it.

I bought it off of a 17 year old who let it sit for 3 months after the starter went out. The gas tank was pretty bad when he bought it, and the carb was shot as well, but he drove it as is. The kid bought it off of the 94 year old who bought it new in 1983, so there's some hope I guess. 

I purchased the truck not running (starter) and just placed an order for a starter, carb gasket kit, gas tank, gas guage floater, fuel filter and two different fuel pumps (wasn't sure which one fits)

I have two questions:

(1) I peaked under the passenger side to find the stock fuel pump and it looked like the wire going along the length of the truck to the engine bay has been spliced in and is just loosely hanging. Is there a better way to route the wires for the pump?

(2) This is the first time I have worked on a vehicle as old as this one, so I'm kind of out of my element here. The truck is in pretty good contintion for 191k miles (besides some interior trim), so what else should I focus on?

Thanks in advance 🙂

• dimitrisprophet changed the title to Just bought a 1983 720 king cab 2wd 5-speed
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang onto the old starter. Some day have it rebuilt properly. Auto store replacement starters are very poor quality.

The electric fuel pump is on the outside of the frame forward of the rear tire. That one? or has someone spliced another in?

The Z24 has a nasty habit of blowing the head gasket every 100k. Re-torque the head bolts once a year. On a COLD engine, loosen ONE bolt and torque to 60 foot pounds. Now go to the next bolt and do the same. Any order you like but only ONE bolt loose at a time.

• Thanks 1

Golden information, thank you.

I followed the sending hose from the tank to the filter, which ran to what has to be the pump under the passenger side in front of the wheel. The pump itself has the hose inlet on one end, and outlet on the other side. I've seen pumps that fit, but the inlet and outlet are attached to the side of the pump instead. I purchased both of these types of pumps and just assumed if one didn't work, the other would.