85 nissan 720 steering gearbox differences

85 720

Is the power steering gearbox from a 4wd different  than a power steering gearbox from a 2wd? I'm looking at buying a 4wd power steering gearbox  with non tilt column for my non power steering non tilt  2wd truck. Will it bolt up??  

• Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike changed the title to 85 nissan 720 steering gearbox differences
1 hour ago, Charlie69 said:

2wd and 4wd power steering gear boxes are the same, it is the pitman arms that are different.  All 720 power steering columns are tilt.

If it's a tilt column. Will everything bolt up to my truck or will I need more stuff besides  the combination switch?

• Like 1

No it is not that easy to change from a non power steering to a power steering on the 720s.  The tilt/power steering column rag joint is up close to the firewall and the non tilt/manual steering column rag joint is down by the steering box. 

The column diameter is different where the turn signal/combination switch mounts, so the turn signal/combination switches are not interchangeable.

The easiest way to swap to power steering is to get the power steering column, switch, rag joint assembly and gearbox from the same truck to swap into yours.  You will also need hoses, pump with all the brackets and mounting bolts, the belt with the adjuster pulley, brackets, and bolts, and the upper alternator mount as it is different than the non power steering bracket.  it is a lot of work and parts to go to power steering on the 720.

If you are going to be in the Phoenix Arizona area in the near future let me know as I have most of the power steering parts you will need to do the swap.  I would be willing to trade you for the non power steering parts.  I am going electric power steering on my trucks and prefer the manual steering box for this mod.

2 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

No it is not that easy to change from a non power steering to a power steering on the 720s.  The tilt/power steering column rag joint is up close to the firewall and the non tilt/manual steering column rag joint is down by the steering box. 

The column diameter is different where the turn signal/combination switch mounts, so the turn signal/combination switches are not interchangeable.

The easiest way to swap to power steering is to get the power steering column, switch, rag joint assembly and gearbox from the same truck to swap into yours.  You will also need hoses, pump with all the brackets and mounting bolts, the belt with the adjuster pulley, brackets, and bolts, and the upper alternator mount as it is different than the non power steering bracket.  it is a lot of work and parts to go to power steering on the 720.

If you are going to be in the Phoenix Arizona area in the near future let me know as I have most of the power steering parts you will need to do the swap.  I would be willing to trade you for the non power steering parts.  I am going electric power steering on my trucks and prefer the manual steering box for this mod.

Right now the guy I've been  talking to is selling his whole column combination switch etc and gear box all off of the same truck. Will there be any problems  with the wiring that connects everything to the combo switch?I shouldn't  have problem correct  except  missing  hoses,brackets and pump correct? Hoses and pump I plan on buying new.  Thank you I would  love to do the trade but I don't know exactly  when I'll be able to do this mod to my truck and when I'll be able to go to Phoenix. I live in California. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Wiring depends on the options of each truck.

Before you buy the column and gear box besure you can get the parts you want new.

I can get the pump and hoses off of  rock auto. The other stuff  I have to slowly  find it all