will 235/75/r15 tires fit my D21 2 WD truck:(

I bought a set of 235/75/15 tires for my 2WD 1989 D21 Hardbody 4cyl truck. I have not driven it yet and it is in the midst of an engine swap. It needs new tires, I bought these almost new tires for dirt cheap. Just took them over to where the truck is and noticed that they are much taller/bigger than the 215/70/15s on it now. So anyone have experience with putting meats on their truck? is there enough clearance in the front wheel housing? Anything I else I should be concerned with.

Thanks. I'm a newbie on the list,

eyera3

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The new ones are wider by .80 inches and taller by 2 inches. Your speedometer will be inaccurate by 4.5 mph. When your speedo says 60 you will actually be going 64.5.

You might get some rubbing when you go over big bumps. Each truck is a little different, condition of shocks, springs etc. The tires vary by manufacturer.

I think you will be ok, what is the stock size and how much are you over?

Check out this tire calculator, it's only a guide each tire and truck/car is a little different.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

If you had a 4X4 no prob. The 720s will take up to 30 X 9.50 X 15, so very likely the D21s will too. 2wd might be a problem. Though the tire is 2" taller that's only an inch taller all the way around so look at your tire and imagine it 1 inch closer to any part of the wheel well. Turn the steering hard right and left and imagine the tire being a half inch wider as well. There may be slight chaffing on really hard turns when parking is all. Just change your habits.

Don't forget suspension travel on bumps. Not a serious problem if in town but off roar is different. The torsion bars could be adjusted up by an inch to cancel out the increased height. Newer gas filled shocks will limit the rebound from bumps.

Two things you will notice. A smoother ride if the side wall flex is the same on both tires. And a loss of pick up and go on acceleration caused be an effective raising of the gear ratio by larger diameter tires.

Edited by datzenmike

I also own a 89 d21 but v6 4x4. Its wearing 32x11.5 r15, no lift. it rubs when hard left or bumps taken to fast left or right but since I have massaged the wells a little it mainly just rubs the flares. I have no clue about the speedo.

l_51b312a03ed24afc92612b4ec86ac8a0.jpg

Ya, thank god, I use it as an example though because his questionables are way smaller, he should be fine no?. They are def too big but they were on the truck when I bought it. 11.5 is ridiculous, in the rain or mud I throw 4 rooster tails on other cars and people, they get all mad at me and shit. lol

i dont see why they wouldn't fit. on my cherokee i put 235/75/15s on in place of my 205/70/15s. speedo wasn't off ot much and no rubbing. you should be fine. hell the tires on my 620 are bigger than stock and no issues except my speedo is off a bit.