Z24 to Z24i distributor swap

Lha

I'm trying to swap a throttle body for a carb and am worried that,absent all of the ignition controls,it'll go into limp mode and just backfire above 2500-3000 rpm. I read somewhere that I'd have to change the interface where the dist contacts the oil pump drive. With a carb,I'd need centrifugal advance and vacuum advance. Anybody done this?

• Like 1
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will need the carburetor intake as well. Or an adapter, I don't think the carburetor will match the bolt pattern or the holes.

Otherwise the throttle body distributor (CAS*) and drive spindle below it need to be changed for ones from a carburetor engine. The throttle body coils will probably work but you will need to wire them to the new distributor as the wiring on the throttle body engine gets it's signal to fire from the EFI computer.

* Crank Angle Sensor... an optical wheel that generates 360 pulses and four 90 degree pulses for the ECU to know exactly where the crankshaft is for ignition purposes. The rotor, cap and ignition wires are the same.

I have (had) an '89 Z24i engine that was installed in an '84 720. All the '84 stuff was put onto the '89.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...