L18 rebuild

zed

So I'm about ready to pull the engine. Been buying parts slowly for months, and reading the manual and every post here.

My idea to build a bit more power into it is bore it out to 86mm - the pistons in the pic are standard L28 flat tops.

And to mill the head .5mm/.020'. It's a V912 head.

I've got pistons, valves, mains & rod bearings, oil & water pumps, timing chain kit, clutch kit, gasket set, assembly lube, Loctite, silicone sealer. Do I need anything else?

Will the compression be too high? Best gas here is 95 octane. Will the timing chain tensioner take up the slack from a .5mm head skim? What else should I watch out for?

thanks

parts.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ck your timming kit and see if it has the brite links on there so its ezer to set up the chain,

If you dont need to mill the head .020 thou then dont do it just do a cleaning mill. Minimum as possible. As if you mill alot off the head you need cam tower shims. I but dont really kknow the rul of thum doing that. I would just up the cam sprocket 1 # to make up the difference. But remember L20 cam from factory w/cam sprocket set to #2.

The tensioer will take up the slack when you intailly install the chain but its the length from top to bottom on the tight side that tetermins the timming.

also ck you head gasket as most here when you bore them out the stock L series gasket comes close to hitting the bore.

Baz at Datsport Austrailia has 87mm stock type head gaskets or you might need a 88 mm Nisno one just to make sure it clears or since you live in SA maybe they have bigger bore L series headgaskets.

http://www.guba.com/watch/3000024223?duration_step=0&fields=23&filter_tiny=0&pp=40&query=hainz&sb=10&set=-1&sf=0&size_step=0&o=0&sample=1228315897:503e0e5f2eb6683b0ad4dfe44909d666bbd16375

I can send the DVD to you if it will help more

PM me

Edited by banzai510(hainz)