Pertronix 1741 install question

AlexDeLarge

Hoping someone could help with a question I have about the install. I have the 3ohm flamethrower coil , so I can get rid of the ballast resistor. I am going to post a picture of what I have in the truck now.

Whoever had the truck before me put black undercoating shit on everything so it is hard to make out color of wires. I just want to know what I need to connnect to the + side of the flamethrower along with the red wire off of the pertronix. Kind of confused as to what I need to do with what I have. Thanks1550415477_20201003_183328(1).thumb.jpg.6c36fcbf528c2af755aad408105d9d4c.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Simplest thing is to leave the ballast in place and take the "black wire to ballast" wire off the ballast end and tighten it to the other terminal of the ballast. This is the Start signal from the ignition switch and now it by passes the ballast and goes directly to the coil +. The rest is wired correctly. 

The "what is this" is a capacitor to reduce/prevent ignition noise. You can leave it or remove it, but save it in case it actually does reduce noise.

23 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Simplest thing is to leave the ballast in place and take the "black wire to ballast" wire off the ballast end and tighten it to the other terminal of the ballast. This is the Start signal from the ignition switch and now it by passes the ballast and goes directly to the coil +. The rest is wired correctly. 

The "what is this" is a capacitor to reduce/prevent ignition noise. You can leave it or remove it, but save it in case it actually does reduce noise.

Ok Mike, so I leave everything as is on the + side and add the red wire from the pertronix also. Take the black wire to ballast and connect to other terminal on ballast. Then take the black wire that is on the old coil now, that goes to the points, and tuck it away? Then take the black wire from the pertronix and hook to the negative side on flamethrower. Correct? Thanks for your help.