Anyone try using Golf GTI (2012) bucket seats?

Draker

I've been searching for some seats for my 1200. I've got Recaro's in all my other cars but I'm not ready to drop $500-1500 on another set. No decent second hand seats kicking around locally. So I started looking at the yards around me. One set that caught my eye are from a MK7 Golf GTI. They have manual sliders, they fold forward, They have manual height adjustments. Also have electrical adjustments for something? Not sure, maybe lumbar?

My question, anyone used these in their 510 or 1200? If they don't work either of those.. I've got a KC 620 which is probably a bit more forgiving when it comes to mounting?

I looked at a pair that have went to shit sitting in the yard. They might be savable, for the right price. I took a bunch of measurements of the stock 1200 seats and these don't seem to be much taller. They have flat seat rails. They are about the same width of the 1200 at 21(ish) inches. I'm not concerned about the mounts too much, I can fab something up to make them bolt in.

There they are, very dirty. Some heavy stuff was laying in them which left some imprints. Some light scratching.. overall not bad (depending on price).

661D79C3-3709-49B3-8ACD-20303394D1D4.jpg
6D357610-57E9-462E-ADE0-A52CEA5F3BF3.jpg
92BF552A-681E-42A7-8354-3379CACB3616.jpg
B17A6A3C-8D3F-433B-941B-936ADDBBF969.jpg
30CB9935-45BE-43C6-98EE-F47EC0B193D3.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has an airbag in the seat.. but not too concerned about that. But does make it harder for find a pair of front seats in a wrecking yard. Also I'm assuming these Recaro is probably the OEM manufacturer for VW like previous years. Not sure though.

Edited by Draker

Initial thoughts, they do sit a smidge higher when in the car. I haven't mounted them. You can see size wise they are about the same.  A little longer on the bottom but a little narrower in the cushion area. The side plastic takes up about an inch of space to make up for the cushion width. They flip down and slide forward for a two door, all mechanical adjustments, even height adjustments.

For the install follow my 1200 thread.

Regarding the air bag in the seat, I have some Juke Nismo seats that I am adapting.  I pulled the seat apart and removed the airbag module and replace it with a piece of fairly stiff foam so there was no noticeable void in the seat.  I was not really concerned about the airbag deploying or anything, but still thought it prudent to remove it and reduce the complexity.

10 hours ago, iceman510 said:

Regarding the air bag in the seat, I have some Juke Nismo seats that I am adapting.  I pulled the seat apart and removed the airbag module and replace it with a piece of fairly stiff foam so there was no noticeable void in the seat.  I was not really concerned about the airbag deploying or anything, but still thought it prudent to remove it and reduce the complexity.

Then the question becomes... wtf do I do with a legal bomb. I used to have to explode them when I worked for a dealer. Couldn't ship them and couldn't trash them otherwise.

I'll probably just leave it in place. The seat skins are a mofo to remove since they have thick bolsters. Maybe I can get a discount on my car insurance by claiming it now has airbags. lol

13 hours ago, Draker said:

Then the question becomes... wtf do I do with a legal bomb. I used to have to explode them when I worked for a dealer. Couldn't ship them and couldn't trash them otherwise.

Agreed.  I have these two sitting here.  Ebay won't accept a posting for them.  Shippers require special training to ship them.  Headaches all 'round.

They are worth money, but how to sell them?