Starter problems?

Beedunkin710

Ok I was driving today stoped to get gas. An truck would not turn over good battery had 45+ psi oil pressure before shutting it of At fist I thought it was a bad battery connection tight end the battery camps then nothing next i though the engine had seized so I called a tow truck and when I got home I was able to spin the crank with a wench so not seized then the starter started to spin it over but it would turn once or twice then nothing no sound or anything then all of a sudden I got it to turn the engine over repeatedly. But then it was making a grinding noise is this just the starter or. Did it chew up the teeth on the pinion gear or flywheel? If it's not just the starter can I pull just the engine or do I need to pull the tranny too. 1985 720 4x4 

• Like 1
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Beedunkin710 said:

Ok I was driving today stoped to get gas. An truck would not turn over good battery had 45+ psi oil pressure before shutting it of At fist I thought it was a bad battery connection tight end the battery camps then nothing next i though the engine had seized so I called a tow truck and when I got home I was able to spin the crank with a wench so not seized then the starter started to spin it over but it would turn once or twice then nothing no sound or anything then all of a sudden I got it to turn the engine over repeatedly. But then it was making a grinding noise is this just the starter or. Did it chew up the teeth on the pinion gear or flywheel.   Can I pull just the engine or do I need to pull the tranny too. 1985 720 4x4 

you can pull the starter and go have it tested. It’s either a bad ground or bad starter. Grinding could be flywheel but more likely starter. Pull it off and have a look inside the bell housing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would clean the battery posts and the clamps then tighten them. I doubt the ring gear is damages from only a few tries where it was gnashing the teeth.

Other than that like Draker says, have it tested. The ground cable is on the intake near the thermostat. Taking the starter off will self clean and tighten the positive cable on the lug.

If the starter tests ok but still having trouble test the start signal voltage on the small wire to the solenoid with key in the start position. It should be what ever the battery is reading but over 12 volts. My 710 was 7 volts and the starter was hit or miss. See is this is the case... there is an easy cure for it. Don't go out and just buy a starter. There are inferior quality and if it's the start signal this won't fix the problem anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2