Canadian Beer?

Mike, the last time I was up your way ( years ago ) I ordered a beer and was told by a local that if I liked good beer I better order a shanghai red cause the straight beer sucked.  Is that still the case?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not knowing where you were visiting, but brewing has taken HUGE leaps in variety here in Alberta anyway (and most anywhere in Canada) so if there's a type you prefer there's plenty of variety to satisfy your tastes. There are a number of places that will even do the bulk of the brewing & bottling for you as a "home brew". We still have a lot of restrictions between provinces so a micro brewer in BC can't sell in Alberta etc etc across the country, each province "protecting" their market. Alberta Barley is widely used by brewers elsewhere too. The number of small distilleries has also grown significantly.

The "Big" brands are generally disliked as being somewhat bland. I won't touch most of them myself and will often pass if that's the only choice I have (IMO Coors Light is recycled beer anyway).

BTW, I toured a Budweiser factory a few years ago and had to laugh when I saw the "Beechwood aging process", the beer might possibly touch a Beechwood shaving for a nanosecond...

I was in Vancouver for a Jag meet.  The local contact there told me he worked out of his barn and we went to his place to see his latest project ( there aren't many jag folks that do their own work ) and I was overwhelmed at the size of the thing. It must have been 150' X 50' and heated and insulated.  He said it came with the house and made the property  less expensive because no one wanted a barn bigger than the house and garages so close together.