New Cali 84 runs rich and misses, plugs, fuel pump

rinkadinc

I have a Calif. 84, 720, z2.4L, 5-spd, RWD, Squirly long bed. milage is about 200-250K. 10 or so yrs ago it didn't pass smog, supposed to be a mal adjusted carb. Couldn't find someone that knew anything for sure ( Weelll, It could this or it could be that. You'll have'ta leave it for a month or 2, so we can look at it. ) So i took it home for a ranch truck. Last winter  the choke wouldn't open all the way, Unhooked choke plate from heater spring. Now don't run rich and when it's cold engine wont  idel,  just have to feather the throotle a lot. Now that it's a little warmer (110 dF in the shade) it's missing a bunch--- Not much power.  I read some of the posts on 720world. SeaFoamed engine till it stalled, started it in am. The exhaust valve dont spit nomore, still missing bad. Changed plugs, .032,  2 differant heat ranges. Compression at 180 psi cold, all 4 roughly the same.(less than 5 psi diff). Didn't adjust valves yet. Re torqued head bolts, 1st time since I've had it, 15-20 yrs ?  Maybe the right colored socks?  Still a hi-spd miss. No gas  visable in site glass. Still stock electric pump. Ordered same on ebay, 44.00 or so ? Then I found and ordered the in-pump filter,thinking Dummy, just change filter, DUUHH . Well, Sh&*, it's just like Thermostats,NOW I need gaskets,and Lo and Behold  Theys on E-bay,so ordered some.  In the mean time, several questions ? The relays behind battery, both are for the headlights ?  PCV molded hose at valve, does it break often?  If i cant run engine, how to check ? Pull a vacuum on crankcase/?  NAA , Way Too much worek.  Maybe pull intake and replace hose ? And what is the 3rd coolant sensor under the intake for ?  It's threaded into heater return Tee, right between heater line and bypass line. The other 2 are below the thermostat housing. It's got a 2 wire weather pack connector.  And then, what's the recommended way to ensure both coils fire all the time ?  maybe jumper both coils positives together?  I read on the oil filter that some asshole changed the filter in 2010. So is that why it has NO oil leaks ? Jus really thick oil ! 600 mi since 2010, So it should still be good ? It kinda looks like oil in a diesel. (84 300D Turbo) Back to the PCV,is the the pipe threaded into the block under the exhaust manifold or is it a hose type ?   
New P70235 E8318 Electric Fuel Pump 17020-10W00 for Nissan 720 Pickup USA
The inter Diminsioal pipe or after cat was burn't out, fabbed new one, pulled cat off, could see NO broken Brick parts and no plugging, could see my hand through little bitee  brick holes.   How long will cat last ?  Does anyone have experience with u-joints with zerk fitting in bearing end cap ?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The exhaust valve don't spit no more.... what's this mean? Valve cover???

Headlight relay (one) is mounted on top of the fuse box.

Hose on valve cover is just a hose so replace if broken. It allows filtered make up air into the engine to replace the fumes drawn out by the PCV valve on the intake.

Miss could be from a tight valve. Set the lash soon.

There will be a temperature gauge sender for the dash gauge and a coolant temperature sender for the ECC (electronic controlled carb) The ECC is controlled by a small computer under the driver's sat and it needs to know the engine temp to calculate the  fuel mixture. I don't know if there is a 3rd one maybe it's something else.

The coils are designed to fire all the time. The intake is powered directly from the ignition switch. The exhaust side is powered from the first fuse on the far left side of the fuse box. Check the fuse. If they both have power they will work, leave alone.

I would change the oil, time isn't good for it either. Get an oil that is high in ZDDP like Shell Rotella T4 in 10w30 or 15w40. NEVER EVER use a fram filter. Get NAPA Gold.

If a farm truck leave the cat off.

If your U joint have the fittings then you can grease them when you grease the ball joints. 

• Like 1

Umm, Where did valve cover come from ?  Have you ever put hand over an exhaust outlet  and feel it spit ? No?  Didnt ask about valve cover, just about pcv, you know Positive Crankcase Ventalation  Valve. OOPS ! So I guess yer rite, It's  PCVV ?  Still no answer about pcvv hose?  You Know, the one at the base of the carb ?  I asked about it cause the fuel filler vent hose was broken and the engine vibrates A lot more than gas tank ! Even when I'm not 4 Wheeling. Any  idea about relay's behind battery?  The reasoning about the coils was for no power loss. If you dont believe me, ask any Recip pilot or A&P Mechanic About the Mag check and why its done at idle and on the ground. VS In the air and at METO !    I'm planning on trying to get it smogged

this summer. 

well it seem like some else is a  little sensitive. Reading somethin into this ? I'm sorry if datzenmikes comments were not Bloing me off or sarcastic and I took it that way ! Jus saying there is more to skinning a cat then you think. And I was trying figure out if I mentioned valve cover. Cause I asked about PCV  molded hose and mentioned that the exhaust valve was spitting. Which was a  symptom of the gas I was feeding it ! It's actully a PCVV. On my engine it doesn't have a molded hose on valve cover, just a piece of heater hose. Trying to clarify where hose was located , CAUSE not everyone that reads this, knows all about it and sometimes I go into too much detail.  And about the coils, was saying there other evidence out there as sorta proof on other types of recips.  And why I wanted both coils to fire under load.  Which was brought on by his comments.  I know it was like comparing someones taste about fruit, Pluots ,apricots,plums, cherries, cherums and lemons. 

4 hours ago, Charlie69 said:
You have a fucked attitude for some one seeking help.

So did you get it out ? Made a big stink, I'd bet.  I was mistaken, I thought this forum was to help others with Nissan 720 p-ups?           But it's NOT !  It's so Senior members can trash Newbe's.    I'll find out if this makes it past the Big Bad Moderator.   I Apologize abjectly.     STILL no info about the relays between batt and fender ? They have plastic socks around/over them. The 3rd coolant sensor ( under the intake) wires look stock cause the wires go into the wire loom next to the 6 pin carb connector. I haven't peeled back the tape (stock looking old brittle tape) yet,  to find out where wires go. I know Datzenmike answered that he doesn't know . Got a Valve cover gasket on the way from amazon, actully a full set. Will change oil. OOps, 10 yrs ago put Fram filter on it. Must Be those Purple Socks, again. And adjust valves, rebuild/clean out carb and maybe while I have bed propped up, I can clean out gas tank. Hmmm,, Might have to dig hole in dirt so it will slide under frame. Or unhook wires. NAh , I'm overthinking this, jus use the hot wrench and notch the frame ! When you measure spring lengths, is it a straight across the arch to center pin or curved along the spring ?  Cause they sit on the overloads. Makes it a stiff ride.   I write in word pad cause I'm so slow at getting my thoughts together and cleaning this up so more gas isn't pumped on the inferno.

10 minutes ago, rinkadinc said:

well it seem like some else is a  little sensitive. Reading somethin into this ? I'm sorry if datzenmikes comments were not Bloing me off or sarcastic and I took it that way ! Jus saying there is more to skinning a cat then you think. And I was trying figure out if I mentioned valve cover. Cause I asked about PCV  molded hose and mentioned that the exhaust valve was spitting. Which was a  symptom of the gas I was feeding it ! It's actully a PCVV. On my engine it doesn't have a molded hose on valve cover, just a piece of heater hose. Trying to clarify where hose was located , CAUSE not everyone that reads this, knows all about it and sometimes I go into too much detail.  And about the coils, was saying there other evidence out there as sorta proof on other types of recips.  And why I wanted both coils to fire under load.  Which was brought on by his comments.  I know it was like comparing someones taste about fruit, Pluots ,apricots,plums, cherries, cherums and lemons. 

4 hours ago, Charlie69 said:
You have a fucked attitude for some one seeking help.

So did you get it out ? Made a big stink, I'd bet.  I was mistaken, I thought this forum was to help others with Nissan 720 p-ups?           But it's NOT !  It's so Senior members can trash Newbe's.    I'll find out if this makes it past the Big Bad Moderator.   I Apologize abjectly.     STILL no info about the relays between batt and fender ? They have plastic socks around/over them. The 3rd coolant sensor ( under the intake) wires look stock cause the wires go into the wire loom next to the 6 pin carb connector. I haven't peeled back the tape (stock looking old brittle tape) yet,  to find out where wires go. I know Datzenmike answered that he doesn't know . Got a Valve cover gasket on the way from amazon, actully a full set. Will change oil. OOps, 10 yrs ago put Fram filter on it. Must Be those Purple Socks, again. And adjust valves, rebuild/clean out carb and maybe while I have bed propped up, I can clean out gas tank. Hmmm,, Might have to dig hole in dirt so it will slide under frame. Or unhook wires. NAh , I'm overthinking this, jus use the hot wrench and notch the frame ! When you measure spring lengths, is it a straight across the arch to center pin or curved along the spring ?  Cause they sit on the overloads. Makes it a stiff ride.   I write in word pad cause I'm so slow at getting my thoughts together and cleaning this up so more gas isn't pumped on the inferno.

This forum is for helping people.

When you come here and ask for help. Keep your and I say again "your fucked attitude" out of the post.  Mike is one of your best bets on help.

Your exact words were...

16 hours ago, rinkadinc said:

I have a Calif. 84, 720, z2.4L, 5-spd, RWD, Squirly long bed. milage is about 200-250K. 10 or so yrs ago it didn't pass smog, supposed to be a mal adjusted carb. Couldn't find someone that knew anything for sure ( Weelll, It could this or it could be that. You'll have'ta leave it for a month or 2, so we can look at it. ) So i took it home for a ranch truck. Last winter  the choke wouldn't open all the way, Unhooked choke plate from heater spring. Now don't run rich and when it's cold engine wont  idel,  just have to feather the throotle a lot. Now that it's a little warmer (110 dF in the shade) it's missing a bunch--- Not much power.  I read some of the posts on 720world. SeaFoamed engine till it stalled, started it in am. The exhaust valve dont spit nomore, still missing bad. Changed plugs, .032,  2 differant heat ranges. Compression at 180 psi cold, all 4 roughly the same.(less than 5 psi diff). Didn't adjust valves yet. Re torqued head bolts, 1st time since I've had it, 15-20 yrs ?  Maybe the right colored socks?  Still a hi-spd miss. No gas  visable in site glass. Still stock electric pump. Ordered same on ebay, 44.00 or so ? Then I found and ordered the in-pump filter,thinking Dummy, just change filter, DUUHH . Well, Sh&*, it's just like Thermostats,NOW I need gaskets,and Lo and Behold  Theys on E-bay,so ordered some.  In the mean time, several questions ? The relays behind battery, both are for the headlights ?  PCV molded hose at valve, does it break often?  If i cant run engine, how to check ? Pull a vacuum on crankcase/?  NAA , Way Too much worek.  Maybe pull intake and replace hose ? And what is the 3rd coolant sensor under the intake for ?  It's threaded into heater return Tee, right between heater line and bypass line. The other 2 are below the thermostat housing. It's got a 2 wire weather pack connector.  And then, what's the recommended way to ensure both coils fire all the time ?  maybe jumper both coils positives together?  I read on the oil filter that some asshole changed the filter in 2010. So is that why it has NO oil leaks ? Jus really thick oil ! 600 mi since 2010, So it should still be good ? It kinda looks like oil in a diesel. (84 300D Turbo) Back to the PCV,is the the pipe threaded into the block under the exhaust manifold or is it a hose type ?   
New P70235 E8318 Electric Fuel Pump 17020-10W00 for Nissan 720 Pickup USA
The inter Diminsioal pipe or after cat was burn't out, fabbed new one, pulled cat off, could see NO broken Brick parts and no plugging, could see my hand through little bitee  brick holes.   How long will cat last ?  Does anyone have experience with u-joints with zerk fitting in bearing end cap ?

Which doesn't make any sense so I asked what you meant. 

After trying to read through your tedious, rambling, punctuation/grammatically challenged and poorly spelled composition ? I've been nothing but helpful with my answers and suggestions.

15 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The exhaust valve don't spit no more.... what's this mean? Valve cover???

Headlight relay (one) is mounted on top of the fuse box.

Hose on valve cover is just a hose so replace if broken. It allows filtered make up air into the engine to replace the fumes drawn out by the PCV valve on the intake.

Miss could be from a tight valve. Set the lash soon.

There will be a temperature gauge sender for the dash gauge and a coolant temperature sender for the ECC (electronic controlled carb) The ECC is controlled by a small computer under the driver's sat and it needs to know the engine temp to calculate the  fuel mixture. I don't know if there is a 3rd one maybe it's something else.

The coils are designed to fire all the time. The intake is powered directly from the ignition switch. The exhaust side is powered from the first fuse on the far left side of the fuse box. Check the fuse. If they both have power they will work, leave alone.

I would change the oil, time isn't good for it either. Get an oil that is high in ZDDP like Shell Rotella T4 in 10w30 or 15w40. NEVER EVER use a fram filter. Get NAPA Gold.

If a farm truck leave the cat off.

If your U joint have the fittings then you can grease them when you grease the ball joints. 

The relays directly beside and behind the battery are, front to back...

Fuel cut relay

ECC relay (Cal.)

Dropping resister for tach (not a relay)

ASCD inhibit relay (automatic models)

ASCD relay (automatic models)

Windshield washer reservoir

Glow relay 2 (diesel model)

Glow plug relay 1 (Diesel model)

• Like 2