drivers door dinger

I am embarrassed to ask this but here goes ,  I was fixing little things in my cab and I got the door dinger to click when the key is in and the door is open but no music ! what can I do to get the clicking into dinging ? last week I was picking parts off a '84 in the local wrecking yard and heard the door dinger going off , it just made me want mine to work that much more  ! LOL 

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The door 'dinger' is actually the "your key is in the ignition" reminder when you open only the driver's door to get out. Condescending auto makers started doing this in the '70s and people should have made them stop but now we're stuck with that annoying chime. I used to yell at one of my cars... "I know the damn key is in the ignition I'm not an idiot. I put it there!!!" Soon after I pulled the wires off of it. (end rant)

The chime is above the fuse box at top of the kick panel and a little smaller than a pack of cigarettes. You should be able to feel it clicking when you pull the key in and out.

• Like 1

I would prefer it if it was dinging with the lights on and the door open, that's my next project, i just have to go back and look up what was done before as it was posted before being done. I think

Edited by canon3383
forgot a sentence
  • Like 1

It would appear that if you had a jumper wire (with a diode) from your headlight switch Red/Blue OR Red/Black to the 'dinger' Black/Green wire it would ding when you open the door. The diode would prevent the key in ignition back feeding the headlamps. 

• Like 1