L16 Valve Adjustment on a 510

slyzxx

Hi, 

I have a datsun 510 with a L16. I want to begin by saying i`m not mechanically knowledgeable but I bought the car to teach myself. There are two different things happening. 

1) The exhaust is spewing out oil and water, my assumption is valve gasket needs a replacement 

2) When you turn the engine there is a grinding noise and a knock every few seconds, my assumption for this is it needs a valve adjustment.

There isn't much info out there other than a youtube video that is maybe 10+ years old that I followed. I took the valve cover off, spark plugs (numbering them) I loosened the bottom bolt with the 17 spanner and the top with a 14, I made sure to make sure the lobes are facing upwards and tried putting in the feeler gauge between the lobe and lash. No matter how much I loosened either bolt the feeler gauge would not go in. I am not sure what I am doing wrong here. Not sure if there is a write up or a better video somewhere. If anyone has any guidance i would appreciate it. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your past that now if water is coming out the exhaust unless it sat for a long time.

Really you need tocheck the dipstick and tell us what you see on the oil if looks good then check the water. fill it up and tell us if antifreeze color or dirty brown

run the vehicle till it warms up, does it over heat, run for 1/2 hour and then tell us if water boils over.  or leaks or runs low

water could just be from the intake maniold water passages getting sucked in but should be more a steam exhaust. Maybe you need a new intake/exhaust gasket???

grinding noise could be timming chain tensioner worn out rubbing on it ect……...

when adjusting the valve  there is a video out there somewhere already  , but you break the jam nut and turn it it will go up the threads and the ball stem youll turn it in so it goes down into the head. This will only go so far as it will meet and pretty much will lock itself together.  I say try it on another one and see if it works  but this one where you say you cant get space means the valve is SUNK all the way down and you can get more adjustment.  Pretty much means you need new seats installed. But one can cheat this by thaken the 17mm jam nut and putting it on a belt sander and shaving it thinner to give enough movment to get the post to go down more. Datzenmike has a photo.

as for number the plug wires  I just leave them on and unclip the dist cap with the wires on there(remove the coil wire from coil) and flip them to the passenger side and you don't need to remark them. then take the valve cover off.

All exhaust pipes will produce condensation and mostly in cool weather but less so once the system has warmed up.

Condensation rinsing excess carbon in the exhaust system out the back can be mistaken for oil... it's wet and black. To actually be oil it would be blowing a white/blue cloud that would cover your block. Non of this has anything to do with a valve cover gasket. A leaking gasket might drip oil all over the engine block.

1 hour ago, slyzxx said:

2) When you turn the engine there is a grinding noise and a knock every few seconds, my assumption for this is it needs a valve adjustment.

Do you mean use the starter to turn the engine to start it?

Do you mean when the engine is running?

Adjusting the valves is as Hainz suggested.