My new 85 4x4 720

JoeExotic

Whats going on everybody. New to the Nissan world and this forum. Been lurking for quite some time in past threads trying to find answers to so many questions before I posted like a noob.  Where to start.....I just acquired an 85 4x4 Nissan 720 for FREE from a buddy that has been used solely as a ranch truck for the past 15 years. Truck is in great condition with only 100,000 miles. The Kicker was the truck "suddenly stopped running." Didn't take much time to immediately find the culprit. Rats. They seem to have only chewed through the main body of the harness inside the engine bay just before it goes through the firewall, so of course it was in a position too tight to fix from there. Got the harness removed from the engine bay and pulled into the cab to get a better look at the mess. The rest of the harness seems to be in really good shape. Trying to post some pics here as well. I picked up a harness out of a junker 2WD 85 that's in OK shape as a last resort but seems to have a few random cut connections, would like to fix the original if it seems worth it. My question is do I crimp or solder? Shrink wrap and solder each individual wire seems like the obvious choice but with as tight as all the wiring is will it be possible without making it the diameter of a baseball bat once finished? From what I'm looking at now it seems Nissan used a different color combo for every wire but haven't dug into the core of this bundle and separated them wire by wire yet to confirm. Also I know the first thing will be to obtain an 85 specific FSM, aka the Bible. Been looking and can't find anything for less than 200 bucks. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Killer forum you guys have going here stoked to be a part of it. 

IMG-5835.jpg

IMG-5689.jpg

IMG-5742.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately the FSMs, at least the '84 and perhaps earlier, do not have a wire diagram like the earlier trucks with every wire, it's color and where it goes. In the back of my '84 SFM it's a block diagram just showing what's connected to what. I guess there are so many wires that it's difficult to get it on a folding page. You should see my '76 710 wiring diagram of 3 folded pages!!!  However in the electrical section it does break everything down into separate units like lighting, showing in detail every wire from the battery, fuse box, switches and to the head lamps. Easy enough to find the section between the dash and the engine bay. Then you need the ignition , charging, battery, washer/wipers etc. etc anything that goes into the engine bay... find it and you have the wires just not everything together.

Crimping will do and I know it's a pain but I would heat shrink everything. Hey it could be worse and you have a Dodge Ram truck with that funky soy based wire insulation that's edible. Nice going auto industry.... edible wiring. What genius millennial thought that would be a good idea???? 

• Like 2

I use a 1986 fsm for my ‘85. I found a free download copy at cardiagn.com. Don’t look under Nissan, look under Datsun, then trucks. It will be at the bottom of the page. It’s split up into the different sections. The electrical section seems to have what you’re looking for. 

• Like 1