Need a new carberuator.

Tracystover

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A good one is insane expensive and no telling how good the quality. For example one for a Z24 from the Nissan dealer was $860. There's two things to choose between.

1/ carburetors don't usually wear out but they do get dirty inside and have very small orifices and jets that can partly clog up. The other is it simply gets it settings messed up. A good carburetor rebuild kit is over $30 and will have instructions and a few gauges for setting choke closure and float drop and all the settings needed. It also helps to have a factory service manual (FSM) not a Haynes or Chiltons, a real factory manual. If you have a 720 you really need to go on line and buy a used one for your year. $20-$50. You'll need come clean space to work, spray carb cleaner with a red plastic straw for directing the spray, an old tooth brush, screwdrivers, small wrenches and a camera so you can see how it goes back together. A morning to remove, take apart, clean, put together, adjust and put back on. So far way under $100 and the manual can be used over and over. Manual will pay for itself first time you use it

2/ buying a Weber carb replacement kit with everything you need including an air filter for it from Pierce Manifolds. About $300 or a bit less. Beware of fake Chinese knock offs on line.

• Like 1

There is National Carburetors in FL.  It runs about $375, with a $75 core deposit, refundable once you return your old carb, assuming they accept your core.

Once in a while, they run specials.  I managed to pick up a spare a couple years ago.  It was ~$190 out the door, with no core.

• Like 1

If your patient and fortunate enough, EBay can sometimes be a good source for used carbs. I was in the same predicament, I needed a carb. for my 1986 720 with a Z24 motor and was quick enough to get a used carb for $100, doner truck had very few miles and with a good rebuild kit it will be good as new.

• Like 1