New 710 Owner

angel6er

Recently picked up this 710 coupe. It runs well but I'm currently trying to figure out this issue: When I turn off the motor, it begins to shake. Anybody have any ideas on what it can be? I am thinking maybe the timing is off but not completely sure. Its an L20B with a dogleg 5 speed. Here are a few photos. Also on the lookout for 280zx struts to drop the front a little lol. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you

IMG_3339_zpsywcoujv6.jpgIMG_3338_zpsbunxxqyl.jpgIMG_3337_zpsvb0o2ajf.jpgIMG_3265_zpsxmqwrbp1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's common for the L20B to diesel or 'run on' after the ignition is shut off. The stock carb has an idle cut solenoid that shuts off fuel with the ignition being turned off. Easiest thing? Place in 4th or 5th with the brake firmly on, let the clutch up like you're going to drive away and load the engine down, then turn the ignition off and the engine will stall. Once the engine has fully stopped, let the clutch up all the way. Three or four times and you will do it fast and automatically every time you turn the engine off.

16 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

It's common for the L20B to diesel or 'run on' after the ignition is shut off. The stock carb has an idle cut solenoid that shuts off fuel with the ignition being turned off. Easiest thing? Place in 4th or 5th with the brake firmly on, let the clutch up like you're going to drive away and load the engine down, then turn the ignition off and the engine will stall. Once the engine has fully stopped, let the clutch up all the way. Three or four times and you will do it fast and automatically every time you turn the engine off.

Thank you for the tip! I will definitely try this. I was a little worried how the engine would shake after I turned it off lol I appreciate the knowledge thank you!

You could also try turning the idle down to 700 or so if it isn't. Make sure neither carb is flooding or dripping gas into the intake while running and the idle mixture is not too rich. Spark plugs NGK BPR6ES

What year??? Does it have the transistor ignition used on California cars?? Plug gap should be 0.038"-0.042"

Has the compression been increased??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2020 at 7:49 PM, datzenmike said:

You could also try turning the idle down to 700 or so if it isn't. Make sure neither carb is flooding or dripping gas into the intake while running and the idle mixture is not too rich. Spark plugs NGK BPR6ES

What year??? Does it have the transistor ignition used on California cars?? Plug gap should be 0.038"-0.042"

Has the compression been increased??

It'a a 1975 and it does have the transistor ignition. Plug gap is within that range. I used your tip when turning it off and it worked! Thank you again! Now looking for some 280zx front struts to hopefully swap out

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2020 at 5:28 PM, shakotan710 said:

Are you trying to upgrade to full coilovers or do you just want stock 280zx struts?

I'm going to get the weld on t3 coilovers and either get lowering blocks or de arch the springs for the rear

1 hour ago, angel6er said:

I'm going to get the weld on t3 coilovers and either get lowering blocks or de arch the springs for the rear

Good plan, I'm running a 280zx setup in the front that just needs to be rebuilt and I used to run 3" lowering blocks with 15" wheels. Once I'm focusing on suspension I'll probably go with a minor de-arching and run a slightly smaller lowering block. 

• 2 months later...

Finally upgraded to 280zx struts/brakes with the Techno Toy Tuning Weld On Coilover Kit (used clamp collars with a weld under them). Used 3 inch lowering blocks with a 2 degree shim to lower the rears, Got new wheels: River Side Leos, 14x6.5 in the front and 14x7 in the rear. Liking the progress but I was having issues with my carb spitting some fuel. DId some adjustments/cleaned some jets but I feel it still is not running optimally. Next I plan on draining the trans/diff fluid as there is noise in 4th and 5th gears. Anybody have any recommendations on trans and diff fluid?

IMG-4256.jpg
IMG-4243.jpg
IMG-4240.jpg
IMG-4238.jpg
640-DEA06-6375-4-F5-E-86-D0-4-C63-BE0-A9
09127-F03-1-B09-414-C-BBE1-1-DEC43-F82-F
A6-E6627-B-0229-4332-A019-6-A5-F7-A8390-
86736434-8197-446-D-AE85-7-FEBB280-BBA0.

• Like 5
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

It was probably IRS from a 610 sedan into a 610 wagon. Anything is possible with a wire feed wrench.

I don't care for IRS, it's supposed to be this magical thing but it has so much wrong with it once you start pushing it. Camber and toe in and out changes during suspension movements. Look up trailing throttle steer. By the time you add massive coil springs, sway bar and HD shocks to control it, you might as well have a solid axle anyway. It would be very impressive to do but is it really worth it?   

• 11 months later...

Seat belt warning and key left in ignition warning use the same buzzer. For the buzzer to be on....

1/ key must  be in the ignition in OFF position and driver's door is opened. Shouldn't buzz with key out. Or...

2/ Key is in the ON position and someone seated without seat belt fastened. Shouldn't buzz with key off or out of ignition.

Can't pull the fuse as there are other things on that fuse that would be disabled. So is it the key in the ignition warning or unfastened seat belt warning????? 

Pull key out of ignition fix this? no??

Follow the seat belt anchor(s) to where they bolt to the floor. There will be two wires and a plug. Disconnect until buzzer stops.

If nothing works the buzzer is somewhere behind the ash tray in the dash. Pull the plug off of the buzzer.

On 1/12/2023 at 1:51 PM, datzenmike said:

Seat belt warning and key left in ignition warning use the same buzzer. For the buzzer to be on....

1/ key must  be in the ignition in OFF position and driver's door is opened. Shouldn't buzz with key out. Or...

2/ Key is in the ON position and someone seated without seat belt fastened. Shouldn't buzz with key off or out of ignition.

Can't pull the fuse as there are other things on that fuse that would be disabled. So is it the key in the ignition warning or unfastened seat belt warning????? 

Pull key out of ignition fix this? no??

Follow the seat belt anchor(s) to where they bolt to the floor. There will be two wires and a plug. Disconnect until buzzer stops.

If nothing works the buzzer is somewhere behind the ash tray in the dash. Pull the plug off of the buzzer.

I ended up unplugging the plug and the buzz stopped but the light is still on, all of this with the ignition off and no key. Sounds like I’m going to have to find the plug behind the ash tray. Thank you for the help!

That's no good the battery will go dead. Unplugging the light may not be the answer. Simply put, something has power when it should not.

Only thing with power with the ignition off would be the lighting, horn, brake lights, 4 way emergency lights, clock and the interior light.