L16 timing...

Primerdimer

working on my truck, 71 521 with an L16 and Weber down draft...

So far, I’ve changed my points, and checked/set the gap on them. Put in new ngk B6ES plugs gapped to .032 along with ngk wires. New cap and rotor. Didnt touch the coil or condenser yet (but will). Adjusted valve lash. Compression was good, with highest cylinder at 215 and lowest at 200. truck is running great but idle is a little high.

I’m focusing on ignition timing and carb now. My problem is that I’m getting different info from different sources. One thing I’m reading (Clymer) says “the grooves(on the crank pulley) are graduated in 5 degree increments. The TDC mark is to the EXTREME-LEFT of the engine as viewed from the front” and “specs for timing requires timing at 10 degrees BTDC, which would be the 4th mark from the left” ??—4 marks in 5 degree increments, isn’t that 20 degrees BTDC??

ALSO, in the L-series engine manual from Nissan, it says that TDC is located to the EXTREME RIGHT... so now I don’t know which side is which... 

Is TDC to the extreme right or left if looking down from the front of the truck? And which notch is 10 BDTC?

Can someone shed some light for me here? Thanks a lot!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic