Recommendations for machine shop in PNW

Anyone in the Vancouver, WA or Portland, OR area have a recommendation for a good machine shop?

I am rebuilding the z24 motor in my 720. What machine work would you recommend having done? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never seen this topic before, I have had all my machine work done at AC Nutter at 13917 NE Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver, WA 98682, you likely can find cheaper if you look around, but I would rather have it done right instead of cheap, he has made 3 super L block super heads(equivalent casting 219 or better) out of W53 heads, and rebuilt several other heads from L20b blocks, U20 blocks(2 of them), and a diesel block, he rebuilt/punched out two Z22 blocks for my LZ23 engines, rebuilt an SD22 diesel block, went thru a U20 block that sat for over 20 years, I have had him do all my machining for the last 25 years.

As long as you know what you want he will do it if it is possible, he doesn't have the equipment to machine out a transmission case to a larger bearing though, I have another guy do that stuff in Portland.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, wayno said:

I never seen this topic before, I have had all my machine work done at AC Nutter at 13917 NE Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver, WA 98682, you likely can find cheaper if you look around, but I would rather have it done right instead of cheap, he has made 3 super L block super heads(equivalent casting 219 or better) out of W53 heads, and rebuilt several other heads from L20b blocks, U20 blocks(2 of them), and a diesel block, he rebuilt/punched out two Z22 blocks for my LZ23 engines, rebuilt an SD22 diesel block, went thru a U20 block that sat for over 20 years, I have had him do all my machining for the last 25 years.

As long as you know what you want he will do it if it is possible, he doesn't have the equipment to machine out a transmission case to a larger bearing though, I have another guy do that stuff in Portland.

Thanks! This is what I needed to know.

He used to do racing engines mostly, my projects were put on standby till he had time because the race guys took priority, but now he just does normal hot rod stuff because the race guys were too high maintenance, what I mean is when they brought something in it had to be done right away because of a race next weekend.

If your modifying something you need to know what you want, like if you want hardened seats in your head you tell him, otherwise he will do what the manufactures say to do, this has caused me a headache in the past, I had super valves installed but he put brass seats in, they didn't last 6 months the way I drive, he said they(whoever they are?) didn't say to put hardened seats in, I shrugged and he rebuilt the head again, and when I said to put hardened seats in another head he suggested I alter my driving habits, I just looked at him and laughed, and he installed hardened seats.

Edited by wayno
  • Haha 1