Radiator fan issue

LTSU

So, I have this 1979 Datsun N10 120A which was parked for about 13 years until I decided to make it roadworthy again. It was originally parked due to some clutch issues but it ended up being relatively easy to fix. So as of right now the car is fully driveable and it runs really well. 

The problem I have, however, is that the radiator fan doesn't seem to be triggered by the engine temperature. Now, the temperature cauge in the dash does work, which makes me believe there's nothing worng with the termostat itself. The fuse is also not blown and I tried swapping the reley to known good one but still nothing. I also believe the fan motor is fine since it did spin when given power. If anyone here happens to have any idea what could be causing it not to turn on when supposed, I'd really appreciate your help. 

My whole point was to make this car into a nice little summer car, but it's not really that practical when it overheats as soon as you stop :D.

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

This is a fan clutch car? 

No, apparently my english was too crappy. I'm talking about the fan on the radiator that cools down the engine. I was just talking about the clutch to give a little bit of a backstory on the car 😄

• Like 2

No no you said N10 which would be an F10 over here, notable for being a FWD car. So electric fan. I changed a clutch on one once, and that's all I remember about them.

Does the engine boil over? Sometimes it has to get quite hot for the fan to come on. When moving they are very efficient at cooling and just the forward motion pushes enough air through the rad to cool it. It may turn on if left idling long enough. This would be normal.

But if it does over heat....

Go to the relay and use a test lamp. 

41jkTa9Z3cL.jpg

Find the power wire and confirm there is 12v present. Even though you changed the fuse there may be a supply problem.

We'll ignore the relay as you changed it and unlikely two would be bad.

I assume there is a fan temperature sensor somewhere? Have a look, it may be in the lower rad return hose to the engine or it may be mounted in the rad.  It won't be the sender for the dash gauge. If you can join the two wires to the sensor (maybe at the relay?) and the fan works then everything other than the sensor is working perfectly.

I removed my mechanical fan on my 710 and put dual fans on the rad. The sensor for the fan relay is from a FWD Nissan 200sx (I think) and is in a pipe mounted in line on the lower rad hose. My gauge runs just above 1/2 way when driving but when idling long enough,  it moves up to about 3/4 before the fans will come on. It alarmed me at first but apparently this is normal enough. The fan can also come on after I shut the engine ignition off and this is normal too.

• Like 1