620 brake leak

djmoreron

noticed a puddle around the rear drivers side wheel the other day and it turns out i have a brake leak. the front reservoir was empty, so i filled it back up. i took off the drum and the shoes are soaked. tried looking around for a leak, but i cant tell where its coming from. it appears to be behind the wheel cylinder (it was replaced about a year ago).

what areas should i look at to find a leak? ive never worked on drum brakes before, but i do have a service manual handy that helps a ton. any suggestions?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the quick response:)

i believe the fluid was flushed. i didnt do the work myself, but when i bought the truck it needed a new master cylinder and wheel cylinders all around. but hey, anything is possible so its hopefully just the cylinder.

Edited by djmoreron
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks. it was definitely the cylinder. pretty easy to replace. :D

im having trouble attaching the parking brake arm to the brake shoe. i cant get the washer to stay on with the cotter pin. is there a trick or tip that anyone uses to attach this piece?

11-17-2008028.jpg

Edited by djmoreron

thanks! for whatever reason the clip refused to stay on. went to autozone and kragen and they just tried to sell me the entire brake hardware kit which i already purchased :mad:, so finally i went to the local mom and pop auto parts store and they had em in stock. :D so with the few hours of light i have to work on them each day, im finally moving on to my first gravity bleed of the brakes...

does the truck have to be level in order to gravity bleed? right now i have only the rear end on jackstands, and i cant get fluid to come out of the bleeder (without stepping on the brake pedal) :confused::confused:

• 4 weeks later...

ended up having to replace the master cylinder too, as it was bad. but now i have a slow leak where the brake lines connect to the MC. :cursing: i know that the flare on the brake lines is what makes the seal, not the threaded fittings... so should i just cut the end of the lines of and re-flare them?!?

I would at least unhook the connection and inspect it, I have seen the hard line split at the seam. You can also make sure that there is not any debris in the fitting area and make sure theat the new master cylinder actually has the fitting seat installed into it(the part the flare tightens onto).

Did you have the lines tight enough?

master cylinder did have the fitting seats, thank goodness. however, i didnt see any cracks on my hard lines, not even at the seams. i got them as clean as i could, but still a slow leak.

because im a noob and wanna make sure its not my mc thats the problem, i ended up getting some new brake lines and fittings from pep boys, connected it to the master cylinder, topped up the fluid and no leaks. ( i had planned on doing this anyway, making my own bench bleed kit with hard lines). im guessing now that its just the old brake lines on my truck. im gonna try and re-flare them and hope it stops leaking.

thanks again!

edit: nm, found a crack on the flare of each line. fixing it now!

Edited by djmoreron