Electrical power failure 1975 610 (710?, it's L20)

Humboldt

I was just gloating over how good the Pumpkin ran after I put in a new Dizzy cap, rotor, points and condensor. Then I had five minutes to get to the dentist and cranked her over while it was still in gear (reverse)! It died and it was like in Star Trek when everything doesn't work. No starter, no lights, no nothin'. I pulled off the cowl over the ignition key switch and the white wire is giving out 11 volts. the other wires must be switched on by the ignition cuz they have nothing. I can't figure out where any in line fuse would be. The fuse box fuses are all good and the white wire into it hot.

There is this big box on the passenger side of the engine compartment that is like a relay ghetto.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks! 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Headlights work? They, along with brake and interior light, horn, dash and clearance lights are on their own fusible link or perhaps two links and do not need the ignition switch to work them. Perhaps half of the fuse block is not connected to the ignition. Try the horn. If it sounds normal the battery is charged up. If it's weak the battery is low or the cables and terminals may need cleaning.  

The ignition is on a separate fusible link and controls power to the other half of the fuse box for such things as engine, heater, wipers gauges etc. Lack of power into the ignition could be a blown fusible link or dirty terminals on the battery or battery that is low and need charging.      

Fusible links are located under that black box. If blown they will look melted or crispy.... usually.      

• Like 1

Well, I rteied to insert a picture of the forest of relays. Are there fusible links buried in there somewhere? Ironically, my "link" to the photo of same doesn't seem to work with the Insert image to URL but maybe this will work: . https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMo-qRtTaVKpnohHg4C9n5rGN62cW0BHBxcy9-fCC8QIK6S2bbTFK3zEPCzp1O47Q?key=aEktazF2M0xXUGtMcnZNUC00ZFoxT3hjM0x0dmR3

What does a fusible link look like? The two red wires coming off the battery to the white plastic terminals on the left hand side have continuity . So do all grounds and power to starter motor. But no starter, headlights, horn wipers . . . nothing!

V97muATRlnkYvLyE0N0jLnNSuf1_7p-AVrVQNm_c

They will be fairly thick and one end always connected to the positive lead to the battery post. Maybe the ones over on the left with electrical tape? Looks like someone has already messed with them.

Check battery voltage across the posts. Should be about 12.6. Then see what the ends of those wires are.

I am still baffled by what the fusible link looks like. Is it inside the white plastic connectors? I was sort of looking for an in-line thing but find none. See any in the picture? Also, there is a ballast resistor on the firewall in the engine compartment (Not the coil ballast under the coil. What the heck does it do?

So, maybe the PO eliminated the main fusible link with those two red wires with non stock connectors into the white plastic terminal. What do you think is next downstream that would have taken the hit  and not allowed current to pass? Voltage regulator?  Does your 74 have similar relay village? Does your 74 have side markers on fender or built into grille? bFrom the pic it looks like there are two circuits coming off the feed of the two red wires, and both have electrical tape wound them. Like maybe PO thought he or she would eliminate the pesky in line fusible loinks?  Thanks for your responses!

Go to the positive battery cable and find the smaller black wire coming from it to the box on the fender.  The fusible links arte connected to this cable and power is distributed to the rest of the car. Like I said one will go to the ignition and at least one maybe two go to the fuse box.

V97muATRlnkYvLyE0N0jLnNSuf1_7p-AVrVQNm_c

Just found my 610 FSM and yes, those two red wires with electrical tape are where the fusible links are supposed to be.

3 minutes ago, Humboldt said:

So, maybe the PO eliminated the main fusible link with those two red wires with non stock connectors into the white plastic terminal. What do you think is next downstream that would have taken the hit  and not allowed current to pass? Voltage regulator?  Does your 74 have similar relay village? Does your 74 have side markers on fender or built into grille? bFrom the pic it looks like there are two circuits coming off the feed of the two red wires, and both have electrical tape wound them. Like maybe PO thought he or she would eliminate the pesky in line fusible loinks?  Thanks for your responses!

The fusible link is rarely used and only in the case of an accident where the main power wires to the ignition or fuse box may be crushed and grounded. Without them they would heat up like a toaster and probably start a fire. Be glad they are there.

• 3 weeks later...