Carburetor idle compensator - metal tab arrangement

spddm0n

When I rebuilt the carburetor, I found it difficult to find the correct orientation of the little "idle compensator" that screws in to the top of the top section of the OEM hitachi carb.  There are two thin tab-like pieces of metal that lay on top of each other and screw into the top of the carb.  I one of those little pieces of metal is sloped at the end.  I was not certain which direction this little "slope" was supposed to be positioned.  Is the slope supposed to slope up against the bottom of the second piece of metal, or away from it?  I'm not certain how this bimetal device is supposed to work, so I couldn't determine which way to put it.  🙂

The FSM doesn't show the slope of the second piece of metal either.  I might have a carb that was already rebuilt once (or more) before.  

Thanks!

izsDoifh.jpg

58ljJpQh.jpg

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mike - 

Thanks for the reply.  How does the valve open/close and what is the relation of the two metal pieces in the opening and closing?  

Can you see how I've oriented the two pieces differently in each of the two photos?  Any idea which way is correct?  Perhaps the orientation is unimportant.

I took apart another carburetor I have (ebay special that was on the vehicle when I bought it), and found the second metal piece (the shorter one on the underside wen installed), doesn't have the same sloping lip, so perhaps the orientation is unimportant.  ??

• Like 1