521 torsions...?

I did get under the truck today & started on the reindexing of the bars. I removed the adjusting bar, undid the lower arm bolt & tapped out the bar [easy]. I turned them 3 clicks & re installed but noticed that the rear mounts were hanging below the frame [more than before]. I then removed the rear mounts from the bars [hit towards the rear of truck] & BTW the "ring clip" doesnt need to come out for this & reinstalled the mounts up closer to the floor & put the bolts & nuts back in. It did lower it 1 inch but i'll go a bit lower in the future. I think what ill do is remove the bar from the arm & jack up the tire till it sits where i want it & then reinstal the bar....

rear mount moved up...........

1-15barmount.jpg

before pic, the lines are now 1/4 inch apart...

1-15barinlowerarm.jpg

I just want some clarification before i dive in tomorrow. Once ive removed the adjustment bolts towards the back of the tranny, i simply loosen the lower A arm bolts and slide the torsion bar out just enough to rotate the bar 2-3 teeth/ clicks and reinstall??? Just like the teeth in the second pic show?? So the adjustment is being done based on the teeth in the A arm in pic 2 and the end of torsoin bar that goes into those teeth on the rear of the A arm in the second pic...??

Edited by Nate
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How low are you going down? If you just want a 3 inch drop theres no nee dto re-index the torsions. If you want a lower than 3 inches drop then yeah youll have to re-index em. Remove or cut the front bumpstops too to get the max drop. PM me if you have any ?'s

Thanks Pacific Coast Datsun...i want to go as low as i can with in reason similar to the blue one ur showing on the previous page.... i also saw some of ur write ups in previous threads but still was not totally clear cause they were for 620's which are similar but none the less different. Thanks again.

Edited by Nate
I will update.....

Nate, reread my own post, kinda sounded like a dick. Sorry, didnt mean it that way.

I guess that to me part of that info is that you could be right down the steet from me or another ratsun member that is very willing to lend a hand to a new guy/gal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Yeah after taking it apart a few times it got really easy :D I hate those ring clips alot & im glad i didnt have to remove them more than once. The front went down about 1 1/2 inches more & now she's level & im riding on bottomed out shocks which makes for a bumpy ride but its not bad. I MAY raise the upper shock mounts & install the shocks Bleach gave to me so it rides smooth.....

i put the stock rims/caps back on, kinda diggin the stock look,,,

1-16loweredlevel.jpg

camber is off a bit but no worries,i can rotate the tires every few months,,,

1-16loweredclosefront.jpg

How many clicks is this?