1982 4x4 centerlink

I am having no luck finding a new 1982 4x4 centerlink. The centerlink from 83 on the 2 a 4 wheel drives are the same and plentiful. The 80-82 4x4 nla. There is rare parts autozone the rebuilds for over $200 plus core. Ebay, rock auto, no luck. I have a 2wd centerlink but holding it up to origanal is different. No workey! Anyone who knows where to find one or has rebuilt one  let me know. These old ones are listed as not rebuildable. Thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I run into the type of situation here at my shop, I take a step back and consider the possibilities. If an original part cannot be found, it may be time to fabricate something. Using easily sourced parts from another make or model, plus some parts from a DIY fab parts source and some tubing might get you exactly what you need. I would design a new part to use easily replaceable tie rod ends and have an adjuster in the middle or on each end.

There are plenty of DIY fab companies on the internet that would have parts you need for this. Threaded tube inserts, tapered tie rod intersect pieces that weld in, etc.

Whatever you do, don't make one using heim joints. Heims are good for racing or offroad, but on the road, they get clunky really fast. Yes, even the best ones.

Got lemons, make lemonade.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I get scared about fabbing anything in the steering department. The center links are "non servicable" but apparently someone is rebuilding them. The 2wd drive one would have had interference issues with the tie rod ends close but not right. It doesn't take much " not right' on these front ends to cause abnormal tire wear. I wanted to tackle the front end shortly because centerlink play and lower bushings need to be replaced. The $200+ price is steep but hashing together components takes time and money too. I think I will keep looking for a few more weeks.

• Like 1